Let's talk Calcium Reactors

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has finally flipped where kalkwasser isn't enough to maintain alk & calcium. Started doing research on 2-part and dosing... Figured I'd just skip that expense and I'm going stright to CaRx. Back in the day (late 90's early 2000), I had a Knop Calcium reactor and wasn't half as sophisticated and worked amazing.

Waiting on my GEO612 to be shipped... Ordered on 11/20.

Picked up the Milwaukee Controller, the CarbonDoser regulator, reborn, remag, and the 5# tank.

I'll get the GEO up and running as is... I already know that I'll order the secondary chamber and eventually a masterflex, but for the time being a Sicce feed with upgraded needle valve will have to suffice.

IMG_3325.jpeg

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my regulator. Alanle built it for me for about the cost of the electronic carbon doser. I like the fact it doesn't rely on electronics.

Regulator.jpeg

I also tried feeding my reactor from a Sicce 1.5 and a MJ1200 and my manifold. All 3 required frequent adjustments to my needle valve. I tried putting the needle valve both on the input and the output with the same results. I ended up biting the bullet and bought the Kamoer.

Although I don't agree with the constant heavy flow method (again relying on electronics), any one of these lower cost feed options will work.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... After reading through everyone's feedback, I have made some purchases and decisions. In my normal over-kill fashion I ended up with a system that will run a tank 3X bigger than mine. I will probably upgrade my tank someday though. I'll be ready!

Besides the Vertex Reactor (and a new impeller for the pump), I've purchased a custom dual stage regulator with solenoid and a really high end needle valve, and a new Milwaukee MC122.

A dosing pump will have to wait. I'm already way over budget and the "finance department" is getting nervous.

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... After reading through everyone's feedback, I have made some purchases and decisions. In my normal over-kill fashion I ended up with a system that will run a tank 3X bigger than mine. I will probably upgrade my tank someday though. I'll be ready!

Besides the Vertex Reactor (and a new impeller for the pump), I've purchased a custom dual stage regulator with solenoid and a really high end needle valve, and a new Milwaukee MC122.

A dosing pump will have to wait. I'm already way over budget and the "finance department" is getting nervous.

Did you get your CaRx setup? I've had mine running since December 17th and it's been amazing in stabilizing parameters. Increased SPS growth has already been noted. Tank is going to explode in growth over the next couple of months. #EXCITED

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get your CaRx setup? I've had mine running since December 17th and it's been amazing in stabilizing parameters. Increased SPS growth has already been noted. Tank is going to explode in growth over the next couple of months. #EXCITED

I still haven't got mine up and running. I'm waiting on the Kamoer dosing pump I ordered. I need it to be easy to dial in and super stable. I decided to go all-in, but couldn't resist saving $100 buy ordering it from China so I get to wait a little. It should be here this week.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kamoer dosing pump arrived today. Man it took forever. But bonus... It's Wifi capable! I have everything now, have prepared space and power for all the components, and have good Ca, Alk, and Mg levels in the tank. I'll get it fired up this weekend.

I gotta admit, the cost of even a basic calcium reactor system is scary. As usual, I went the all-in - overkill route and probably over spent, so I'm really broke now. For anyone wondering, here's the final equipment list:
Vertex Rx-C-6D Calcium Reactor
Kamoer FX-STP Dosing Pump
Custom Air Gas Dual Zone Regulator, Swagelock Needle Valve, Electronic Solenoid
Milwaukee MC122 pH controller
5lb Aluminum CO2 Tank, Filled
Media: Reborn & ZeoMag

The system should be rock solid and something I can trust while I'm traveling. Thanks to everyone for their advise during this project. If I can get it fired up and dialed in without killing everything, I'll be in good shape. I'm thinking I've now got the capacity for the frag tank full of premium SPS colonies & frags I've always wanted. Maybe that's the next project if the finance department ever lets me spend any more money! She's still a little stunned by the cost of this one.

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kamoer dosing pump arrived today. Man it took forever. But bonus... It's Wifi capable! I have everything now, have prepared space and power for all the components, and have good Ca, Alk, and Mg levels in the tank. I'll get it fired up this weekend.

I gotta admit, the cost of even a basic calcium reactor system is scary. As usual, I went the all-in - overkill route and probably over spent, so I'm really broke now. For anyone wondering, here's the final equipment list:
Vertex Rx-C-6D Calcium Reactor
Kamoer FX-STP Dosing Pump
Custom Air Gas Dual Zone Regulator, Swagelock Needle Valve, Electronic Solenoid
Milwaukee MC122 pH controller
5lb Aluminum CO2 Tank, Filled
Media: Reborn & ZeoMag

The system should be rock solid and something I can trust while I'm traveling. Thanks to everyone for their advise during this project. If I can get it fired up and dialed in without killing everything, I'll be in good shape. I'm thinking I've now got the capacity for the frag tank full of premium SPS colonies & frags I've always wanted. Maybe that's the next project if the finance department ever lets me spend any more money! She's still a little stunned by the cost of this one.

You told her? I just installed and am waiting for her to say ‘when did you get all that?’

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I'm pulling water through the reactor with a Kamoer dosing pump. How do I plumb the water into it the reactor? Will the dosing pump pull water up 15-20 inches from the sump or do I need to gravity feed it?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the solenoid valve that takes the places of the needle valve? Or what does the job of this solenoid in a standard dual stage regulator?

I guess I am confused on the basics of on how things are controlled with this vs normal dual stage. Either way a bubble counter is a nice visual right, it does nothing itself?

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the solenoid valve that takes the places of the needle valve? Or what does the job of this solenoid in a standard dual stage regulator?

I guess I am confused on the basics of on how things are controlled with this vs normal dual stage. Either way a bubble counter is a nice visual right, it does nothing itself?

I've set mine up so that the pH controller never shuts off the CO2. The controller is purely a safety in case something goes wacky. The controller is set to shut off the CO2 below a pH of 6.6.

I adjusted the bubble count and the effluent flow through the reactor until a stable pH was reached and where it keeps my alk stable. This is the "Sweet Spot". For me, the way over-sized system's sweet spot dialed in at an effluent rate of 18 ml/minute when the pH is 6.8. 30 bubbles/minute keeps the pH at 6.8. The needle valve on the regulator allows me to control the bubble rate. I chose 30 PSI for the CO2 pressure. I don't think the actual pressure matters much within reason as long as it doesn't change.

Standard (single zone) regulators allow the pressure applied to the reactor to fall as the CO2 tank empties. This could change the bubble count and subsequently the pH in the reactor. A dual stage regulator maintains the same pressure as the CO2 tank empties. I believe this maintains a stable bubble count and keeps the need for adjustments down for much longer.

That said, the process for finding the sweet spot came from another on this forum. They don't think dual zone regulators and expensive dosing pumps are necessary. While I chose differently, I won't argue with their experience and knowledge.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back