Let's talk DIY Plywood stands

kcinnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, it is not a plywood stand if you start off framing the thing with 2X4's, that is a 2X4 stand with a plywood face!

I am contemplating building a plywood stand for a 72"X30"X25" tank. I know I can build a Square carcass fairly easily. I want to make the center brace on the front removable, I can do this with pocket screws fairly easily. I want a mostly solid back, I will have an opening to pass through plumbing and to have wires exit. Unlike all my previous builds where I used PVC and Flex PVC joins I think I want to go with the reinforced color tubing that goes on barbs this time around. I like that barbs are slip on/slip off if something needs to change.

Anyway, who has built a 100% plywood stand. I know the sides and back will be 100% strong enough being solid plywood, I am unsure of the front. How "tall" should the "header" and "footer" be? Do they need to be doubled up? I will do most of the construction with pocket holes, screws, and wood glue.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you about a plywood stand .... but to me, the plywood is the exoskeleton. The skeleton would be lumber, aluminum or steel. I do not believe that plywood alone is engineered to withstand over 1500 pounds of weight. I would not sleep well with that in the house. I'm sure the engineers among us will jump in with more statistical data. Best of luck.

OP
OP
K

kcinnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you about a plywood stand .... but to me, the plywood is the exoskeleton. The skeleton would be lumber, aluminum or steel. I do not believe that plywood alone is engineered to withstand over 1500 pounds of weight. I would not sleep well with that in the house. I'm sure the engineers among us will jump in with more statistical data. Best of luck.
The front and sides of the stand I have now under a 300 gallon aquarium that is 32" tall are just plywood. The back is dimensional lumber, I believe to save money, not to be stronger. Also the back is open, I want a closed back, well mostly closed back. It has trim tacked on the front, but nothing that looks structural.

OP
OP
K

kcinnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? Almost all commercially available stands are made of plywood. Plywood is a lot stronger than you think.
My man! Someone speaking my language. I just need some design parameters to go off of! I know what to do with the bottom, back and sides, just really need to know how much I need to beef up the front.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 80G cube is an OSB plywood stand!

3/4" sides, and 5/8" top and bottom. The front is just a small doubled up "2x4" of OSB right under the front. The doors close on this panel.

Since the OSB has finally started to come apart, I'm having a cabinet maker I know build me a new one identical to this one, but made out of marine grade plywood.

Of course were talking a much longer tank then I have too.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My man! Someone speaking my language. I just need some design parameters to go off of! I know what to do with the bottom, back and sides, just really need to know how much I need to beef up the front.

Did you check these out?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kcinnick I’m totally behind you on this one. Plywood is super strong (think about gluelam beams) on edge. The stuff that @dhnguyen posted is super helpful. Keeping everything square will be important to load transfer. Maybe @RocketEngineer has some thoughts on this?

If you go forward with this please keep us posted!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think plywood is superior to dimensional lumber for all but the biggest of tanks. I'd disagree somewhat with your generalization about what constitutes a plywood stand. Mine is actually a hybrid. Dimensional lumber for the verticals, laminated ply for the horizontals. 3 1/2 years and holding strong. The 'skin' is a combination of hardwood ply and hardwood boards. Helps on my system that the mechanicals are all in the basement.
IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Completely the opposite. You can easily park your car on top of a properly engineered plywood stand.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"A 12-by-36-inch piece of 3/4-inch fir plywood can easily support 50 pounds. However, a 12-by-36-inch piece of 1/4-inch thick plywood will not support that much weight. It will only support about 5 pounds before bending."

"Assuming that the load is square and there is no wind, the average 8 feet 2x4 could handle around 1,000 pounds vertically."

Im confused how does plywood support more weight? You could wood glue a bunch of 2x4s together the same as plywood

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
"A 12-by-36-inch piece of 3/4-inch fir plywood can easily support 50 pounds. However, a 12-by-36-inch piece of 1/4-inch thick plywood will not support that much weight. It will only support about 5 pounds before bending."

"Assuming that the load is square and there is no wind, the average 8 feet 2x4 could handle around 1,000 pounds vertically."

Im confused how does plywood support more weight? You could wood glue a bunch of 2x4s together the same as plywood

Nobody is building stands out of 1/4" plywood. Stands are built out of 5/8 or 3/4" plywood, in critical places, you simply double up.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here's a very useful video I found as well

This video explains proper layout in great detail. Indestructible once sealed.

You can double up in the corners on larger builds, it will support tons of weight. The stand for my last 180 was build exactly like that with removable support in the middle/front.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, if you wanted to build skeleton and then exoskeleton so that you can park a humvee on it you can do this, then wrap it for insane level of support.

1616460432793.png

1616460447314.png

1616460479500.png
Wow. What does that weigh?!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back