DIY plywood stand tutorial?

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have seen those tutorials, both in videos and pictures/threads, of stands made out of 2x4s or 2x6s. but now i would like to know how to build stands out of 3/4" plywoods and can't seem to find any. can some gurus here point me there? videos would be awesome since i'm more visual.

i would like to point out that although i understand you can achieve very aesthetically pleasing stands out of 2x4 and 2x6s, the real estate underneath my 150 gallon stand is very valuable to say the least and i would love to save as many inch as possible.

Latino277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a really good article written by Jonathan Hale - Building a Simple Aquarium Stand. can't find in now. If anyone knows where to find it please post it.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great video for making a simple cabinet. But for our larger aquariums we need to think about the open front and beam strength. For a short span, a small cube for example, not a worry. A 2x6 is far stronger as a beam than an equal length/depth stretch of 3/4" plywood. For a long span it wouldn't cost much space to sister a 2x6 to the back of the plywood, glue and screw.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of using 2 by's maybe use some 1 by's to save room? This would still be easier to build than an all plywood stand I would think. Then skin it with a nice plywood to give it added strength.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great video for making a simple cabinet. But for our larger aquariums we need to think about the open front and beam strength. For a short span, a small cube for example, not a worry. A 2x6 is far stronger as a beam than an equal length/depth stretch of 3/4" plywood. For a long span it wouldn't cost much space to sister a 2x6 to the back of the plywood, glue and screw.

Important point!

I've been toying with the idea of building my stand out of plywood but I later decided against it because I don't have the tools for it basically.
But if I would have, I planned it with a wall down the middle for support and having my refugium on one side and the sump on the other with pipes connecting them through the wall. Good thing with that would have been that I wouldn't have any light pollution in my sump that could cause algae growth etc.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve got a IM lagoon 25. I’ve been looking for instructions on DIY stand with 1/2 plywood without 2x4 frame. They are few and far between on here. I know the video probably isn’t appropriate for the volume the OP was discussing but it’s perfect for me!

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bad data. When manufactured joist are built they use 3/4" ply for the web as it is stronger than 2x material. If you want a really strong beam over the opening, just double with another piece of 3/4 plywood.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bad data. When manufactured joist are built they use 3/4" ply for the web as it is stronger than 2x material. If you want a really strong beam over the opening, just double with another piece of 3/4 plywood.

Plywood will roll under load before the 2x6 though. That's one of the reasons they put flanges of solid wood on premade plywood joists.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to try this it would be 7/8” marine grade A plywood. This would have the strength, but then I would gusset all corners and the length of the corners as well with some 45 degree material. Everything glued and screwed.

Honestly not much different then building a plywood tank, pressure points are just different.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An engineered I-Joist is just not the same as doubled plywood from the home center. For one thing they use OSB designed for the purpose, not plywood. But also they are very 'deep' - the smallest dimension being 9.5". And as Mandelstam mentioned, they have the top & bottom flange as well. Depth is key - a 2x6 is 4 times more rigid than a 2x4. The OSB in I-Joists isn't even very thick - 3/8".
We're probably splitting hairs though - for our purposes the doubled plywood may be fine. I just don't think it's as strong as the same dimension solid lumber. I'd rather have a large front opening than a skinny beam.

ironworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An engineered I-Joist is just not the same as doubled plywood from the home center. For one thing they use OSB designed for the purpose, not plywood. But also they are very 'deep' - the smallest dimension being 9.5". And as Mandelstam mentioned, they have the top & bottom flange as well. Depth is key - a 2x6 is 4 times more rigid than a 2x4. The OSB in I-Joists isn't even very thick - 3/8".
We're probably splitting hairs though - for our purposes the doubled plywood may be fine. I just don't think it's as strong as the same dimension solid lumber. I'd rather have a large front opening than a skinny beam.
Plywood is way stronger than a solid board. In all aspects

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking for new input here. I've never built a plywood stand. I'm curious. I've only used a 2x4 frame in the past. The tank is a 93G cube tank. 30"x30". I want to go 36" tall.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 165g tank on a 3/4 ply stand, was 60” x 28” if I remember correctly. Simple explanation is rabbet all the corners, hold them together with pocket screws and wood glue. Openings can be reinforced with a plywood header and legs. I’ll send you a PM with an example once I’m on my pc.

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 165g tank on a 3/4 ply stand, was 60” x 28” if I remember correctly. Simple explanation is rabbet all the corners, hold them together with pocket screws and wood glue. Openings can be reinforced with a plywood header and legs. I’ll send you a PM with an example once I’m on my pc.

Send one to me too, please.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older thread someone pinged on...but it's a topic I like. Namely, the incredible and underrated strength of engineered lumber - plywood. See this video series for exactly how strong and how easy 3/4 plywood is to work with and the size tank this guy puts on it (175 gallon). Notice it's not solid panels. You absolutely do not need the space hogging, expensive, dimensional lumber.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello, can you send it to me too? TIA

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back