Lettuce slug variations

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New lettuce slug from ReefCleaners. This one has interesting blue undertones below its frills and mottled body:
1680889170335.png

My old lettuce slug had the more typical green/dark green coloration:
1680889525491.png

1680889566137.png

Are there variants of Elysia crispata, or are there different species often mixed together? ReefCleaners advertises E. crispata as their offering. I imagine sexual dimorphism isn't a thing, as I don't know how much visual cues these slugs use. @SlugSnorter @ISpeakForTheSeas any ideas? Could it be an E. clarki? Slug forum shows those as more from south/central Caribbean...

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there variants of Elysia crispata, or are there different species often mixed together? ReefCleaners advertises E. crispata as their offering. I imagine sexual dimorphism isn't a thing, as I don't know how much visual cues these slugs use. @SlugSnorter @ISpeakForTheSeas any ideas? Could it be an E. clarki? Slug forum shows those as more from south/central Caribbean...
There are variants (The Sea Slug Forum refers to it as a color form) of E. crispata, and blue is one of them.
Some related info that's good for ID purposes between E. crispata and E. clarki:
Edit: These are different links.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are variants (The Sea Slug Forum refers to it as a color form) of E. crispata, and blue is one of them.
Some related info that's good for ID purposes between E. crispata and E. clarki:
Edit: These are different links.
Super! Thanks for the links. If I understand correctly, the E. crispata consumes chloroplasts from Halimeda incressata (which I have). The one I had previously was always sucking on ulva as well, so presumably they can source chloroplasts from some other green macros as well.

Thanks! Love the variations in these.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super! Thanks for the links. If I understand correctly, the E. crispata consumes chloroplasts from Halimeda incressata (which I have). The one I had previously was always sucking on ulva as well, so presumably they can source chloroplasts from some other green macros as well.

Thanks! Love the variations in these.
Yeah, here's what I've found on the feeding of E. crispata:

"For example, Caulerpa was described as the primary food source of the sea slug Elysia crispata (Jensen, 1980), while Clark and Busacca (1978) reported that the same species did not consume Caulerpa but instead fed on macroalgae of the genera Halimeda, Penicillus, Bryopsis, and Batophora."*
Some lettuce slugs (typically from the genus Elysia) will eat nuisance algae species, but their wild diet varies pretty drastically from one species to another, and some species have some pretty specific wild diets (I don’t know if these are required diets or preferred diets, but Reef Cleaners reports that they'll eat just about any green, fleshy algae). That said, Elysia slugs generally feed on siphonalean algae such as Caulerpa, Codium, Acetabularia, Halimeda, Udotea, Byropsis, and Valonia spp. So, in theory, these guys should eat nuisance algae that pops up in your tank.
*Source:

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, here's what I've found on the feeding of E. crispata:

"For example, Caulerpa was described as the primary food source of the sea slug Elysia crispata (Jensen, 1980), while Clark and Busacca (1978) reported that the same species did not consume Caulerpa but instead fed on macroalgae of the genera Halimeda, Penicillus, Bryopsis, and Batophora."*

*Source:
My previous slug used to sit on valonia, and I always wondered if it was sucking out chloroplasts. I assume so, since I would find small patches of valonia that were pale and silvery. I also have a ton of codium, but have never seen my old slug or current one spending much time on it. Old slug seemed happy with ulva and valonia, but was presumed to be sucked under the filter floss and through the back chambers to its demise. This one seems to still be trying to find its happy place. Will get some Caulerpa to see if it like Caulerpa as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back