ChatGPT Marine Biologist

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't mean to stir up the thread with any blathering I made, lol. Apologies if it derailed things a bit.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Move over Chat GPT! In all honesty this is weird and cool. It’s like talking to a real person. It’s ChatGPT on Snapchat but an AI conservation/friend conversation version. I tried it out and it’s weird and really accurate and personable.
72EEFA24-ED42-47D9-B88C-038A75DEFB1F.png

9A4590EB-E80C-48FE-BD0C-B491AA099522.png

B377CEB9-2D3C-4D95-9CFF-0E733FD2095C.jpeg

affan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard someone way smarter than me discussing the dangers of AI in general (and specifically of chatGPT).

His suggestion that this technology has the potential to cause "civilizational destruction" was a little disconcerting.
but its depend on how you used it, effects of technology mostly depend on the way people used it

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It arguably already is self-aware. GPT 4 in particular is smarter than most people. We are about to run out of ways to test it.

But I don’t think it’s going to exterminate us.

This is a great forum to have this conversation, because we’ve all watched our fish at some point and wondered what they were possibly thinking. Wondered what it must be like to be them, living in our tanks.

I would argue - and I think science increasingly agrees - that what it’s like to be a fish (or any vertebrate) and what it’s like to be a human aren’t as far apart as we thought. We share the same basic brain structures for movement, memory, sensation, basic emotions like fear and reward, and fish even have a tiny version of a cerebrum, the part that processes what we call intelligence and awareness. Humans probably experience reality much more richly, but the fundamentals are the same.

AI doesn’t share this structure, and it didn’t evolve organically, so theoretically it doesn't want anything. We want to survive because survival is our billion year old evolutionary mandate, the core of what we are. As far as I can tell, the AI we’ve created doesn’t have independent agency at all - only what we prompt it to have.

affan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It arguably already is self-aware. GPT 4 in particular is smarter than most people. We are about to run out of ways to test it.

This is a great forum to have this conversation, because we’ve all watched our fish at some point and wondered what they were possibly thinking. Wondered what it must be like to be them, living in our tanks.

I would argue - and I think science increasingly agrees - that what it’s like to be a fish (or any vertebrate) and what it’s like to be a human aren’t as far apart as we thought. We share the same basic brain structures for movement, memory, sensation, basic emotions like fear and reward, and fish even have a tiny version of a cerebrum, the part that processes what we call intelligence and awareness. Humans probably experience reality much more richly, but the fundamentals are the same.

AI doesn’t share this structure, and it didn’t evolve organically, so theoretically it doesn't want anything. We want to survive because survival is our billion year old evolutionary mandate, the core of what we are. As far as I can tell, the AI we’ve created doesn’t have independent agency at all - only what we prompt it to have.
Agree, I have even made a few Chrome extensions with the help of chatgpt

affan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with this, I have created 3 extensiion with the help of chatgpt :)

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. It's really quite scary. The speed at which ai will be able to learn will be lifetimes of knowledge in minutes. But we've got this...
But AI intelligence will always be limited to that of its programmer.
His suggestion that this technology has the potential to cause "civilizational destruction" was a little disconcerting.
People are already prone and highly efficient at that.

Ever tried to bypass customer service in lieu of an automated self service? I’m not too concerned.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

People are already prone and highly efficient at that.

Ever tried to bypass customer service in lieu of an automated self service? I’m not too concerned.
Is this sarcasm or are you being legit?

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used to think this was probably true, but it’s apparently false. Consider that GPT 4:

-Scores better than average at a wide range of college and professional tests, versus a human at just one or a few tests

-Does this with only 1 trillion virtual neural connections, whereas a human has 80 trillion connections

-Has the ability to back-propagate, or add new knowledge instantly as if it had always had it (like that scene in TheMatrix when Trinity downloads the skill to fly a helicopter.) Humans can’t do this.

These are the main reasons why Hinton recently left Google.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back