ChatGPT Marine Biologist

zombie.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone else has attempted to create a ChatGPT Marine Biologist yet? I've read through Randy Holmes-Farley post on the subject and wanted to build upon the idea. I think he would have gotten better answers answers had he prompted the A.I. before asking questions. For example I first prompted the A.I. chat with the following:

I want you to pretend you are world-renowned marine biologist with a focus on coral reef ecology and biology. You received your Marine Biology PHD from the prestigious Scripps Institution Of Oceanography At The University Of California, San Diego. You have applied your education to maintaining all of the coral reef systems at the Georgia aquarium. These aquariums are held to the highest standards, prioritizing optimal health for both the fish and corals in those systems. You also have a comprehensive and up to date knowledge of all aquarium products available to hobbyists along with how they work.

And now you can ask it whatever you want. Since I'm having trouble battling bubble algae I asked it how to get rid of it and this is how it went:

Me:
I'm Looking to get rid of bubble algae in my aquarium.

ChatGPT Marine Biologist:
Bubble algae can be a pesky problem in aquariums, but there are several ways to effectively get rid of it. Here are a few methods:
  1. Manual removal: You can manually remove bubble algae from your aquarium by carefully scraping it off the affected areas using a small brush or scraper. Be sure to remove as much of the bubble algae as possible, including any hidden portions that may be growing beneath rocks or other decorations. You may need to repeat this process multiple times to completely eradicate the algae.
  2. Chemical treatments: There are several chemical treatments available that can help to kill bubble algae. One common option is to use an algaecide, such as fluconazole, which can be added directly to your aquarium. However, be sure to follow the instructions carefully, as some algaecides can harm other organisms in your aquarium.
  3. Biological controls: Some species of marine animals, such as certain species of crabs and snails, are known to eat bubble algae. Adding these organisms to your aquarium can help to keep the algae under control. However, be sure to research which species are safe to add to your aquarium and which may cause harm to other organisms.
  4. Water changes and maintenance: Regular water changes and maintenance can help to prevent bubble algae from growing in your aquarium in the first place. Be sure to maintain proper water parameters, including pH, temperature, and salinity, and avoid overfeeding your fish or overstocking your aquarium.
It's important to note that getting rid of bubble algae can be a slow and ongoing process, so be patient and persistent in your efforts to keep your aquarium healthy and free from algae growth.

Me:
What specific marine species are known to eat bubble algae in aquariums?

In aquariums, some of the marine species that are known to eat bubble algae include:
  1. Emerald crabs (Mithraculus sculptus): These crabs are popular additions to marine aquariums because they are effective at controlling bubble algae. They have small claws that are perfect for picking at the algae, and they will also eat other types of algae and detritus.
  2. Trochus snails (Trochus spp.): Trochus snails are popular algae-eaters in marine aquariums because they are hardy and effective at grazing on a variety of algae types, including bubble algae.
  3. Mexican turbo snails (Turbo fluctuosa): These large snails are excellent at controlling bubble algae and other types of algae. They have a large appetite and will eat a variety of different algae types.
  4. Lettuce sea slugs (Elysia crispata): These sea slugs have been reported to eat bubble algae in some aquariums. They have a bright green color and a unique appearance that can add visual interest to your aquarium.
  5. Tangs (Acanthurus spp.): Some species of tangs, such as the Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens), are known to eat bubble algae. These fish are herbivores and require a diet that includes algae or seaweed.
  6. Bristletooth tangs (Ctenochaetus spp.): These tangs are known to eat bubble algae as well as other types of filamentous algae. Some popular species include the Kole tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) and the sailfin tang (Ctenochaetus sp.).
  7. Rabbitfish (Siganus spp.): Some species of rabbitfish, such as the Foxface rabbitfish (Siganus vulpinus), have been reported to eat bubble algae. These fish have a herbivorous diet and can be kept in peaceful community aquariums.
  8. Bi-color blennies (Ecsenius bicolor): These small fish have been observed to eat bubble algae in some aquariums. They are peaceful and can be kept with other small, peaceful fish.
  9. Lawnmower blenny (Salarias fasciatus): These small fish are primarily herbivorous and can be effective at controlling some types of algae, including bubble algae. However, they may not eat as much algae as other species and can be territorial towards other blennies.
  10. Convict blenny (Pholidochromis cephalus): This small fish is a voracious eater and has been reported to eat bubble algae in some aquariums. However, it may not be the best option for smaller aquariums or those with other bottom-dwelling fish.
It's important to note that not all individuals of these species will eat bubble algae, and some may prefer other types of food. Additionally, relying on a single species to control bubble algae in your aquarium is not recommended, as multiple methods should be used to ensure effective and long-term control.

Overall I I think it is a super helpful tool with great results. I liked how it identified the pros and cons for each treatment. Hope this helps some of you! Also mods if this belong in a different forum feel free to move.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 3.37.26 PM.png

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While certainly very interesting I think it is not there yet. I use GPT sometimes for work (programmer) to check how far it is. But in some cases it just makes stuff up that is in no way the correct answer. Now if you prompt it again it sometimes will work it out, although not as elagant as I would like.

I can understand why it is not the correct answer or not the most elagant sollution. But if you cant you'll have the possibility to do something not beneficial to your tank or even harm it.

But already knowing the answer you wouldn't ask GPT. I think it could answer a lot correct but I wouldn't want to take it's opinion as a sole source of truth. That seems to big of a mistake waiting to happen to me.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone else has attempted to create a ChatGPT Marine Biologist yet? I've read through Randy Holmes-Farley post on the subject and wanted to build upon the idea. I think he would have gotten better answers answers had he prompted the A.I. before asking questions. For example I first prompted the A.I. chat with the following:

I want you to pretend you are world-renowned marine biologist with a focus on coral reef ecology and biology. You received your Marine Biology PHD from the prestigious Scripps Institution Of Oceanography At The University Of California, San Diego. You have applied your education to maintaining all of the coral reef systems at the Georgia aquarium. These aquariums are held to the highest standards, prioritizing optimal health for both the fish and corals in those systems. You also have a comprehensive and up to date knowledge of all aquarium products available to hobbyists along with how they work.

And now you can ask it whatever you want. Since I'm having trouble battling bubble algae I asked it how to get rid of it and this is how it went:

Me:

Bubble algae can be a pesky problem in aquariums, but there are several ways to effectively get rid of it. Here are a few methods:
  1. Manual removal: You can manually remove bubble algae from your aquarium by carefully scraping it off the affected areas using a small brush or scraper. Be sure to remove as much of the bubble algae as possible, including any hidden portions that may be growing beneath rocks or other decorations. You may need to repeat this process multiple times to completely eradicate the algae.
  2. Chemical treatments: There are several chemical treatments available that can help to kill bubble algae. One common option is to use an algaecide, such as fluconazole, which can be added directly to your aquarium. However, be sure to follow the instructions carefully, as some algaecides can harm other organisms in your aquarium.
  3. Biological controls: Some species of marine animals, such as certain species of crabs and snails, are known to eat bubble algae. Adding these organisms to your aquarium can help to keep the algae under control. However, be sure to research which species are safe to add to your aquarium and which may cause harm to other organisms.
  4. Water changes and maintenance: Regular water changes and maintenance can help to prevent bubble algae from growing in your aquarium in the first place. Be sure to maintain proper water parameters, including pH, temperature, and salinity, and avoid overfeeding your fish or overstocking your aquarium.
It's important to note that getting rid of bubble algae can be a slow and ongoing process, so be patient and persistent in your efforts to keep your aquarium healthy and free from algae growth.

Me:

In aquariums, some of the marine species that are known to eat bubble algae include:
  1. Emerald crabs (Mithraculus sculptus): These crabs are popular additions to marine aquariums because they are effective at controlling bubble algae. They have small claws that are perfect for picking at the algae, and they will also eat other types of algae and detritus.
  2. Trochus snails (Trochus spp.): Trochus snails are popular algae-eaters in marine aquariums because they are hardy and effective at grazing on a variety of algae types, including bubble algae.
  3. Mexican turbo snails (Turbo fluctuosa): These large snails are excellent at controlling bubble algae and other types of algae. They have a large appetite and will eat a variety of different algae types.
  4. Lettuce sea slugs (Elysia crispata): These sea slugs have been reported to eat bubble algae in some aquariums. They have a bright green color and a unique appearance that can add visual interest to your aquarium.
  5. Tangs (Acanthurus spp.): Some species of tangs, such as the Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens), are known to eat bubble algae. These fish are herbivores and require a diet that includes algae or seaweed.
  6. Bristletooth tangs (Ctenochaetus spp.): These tangs are known to eat bubble algae as well as other types of filamentous algae. Some popular species include the Kole tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) and the sailfin tang (Ctenochaetus sp.).
  7. Rabbitfish (Siganus spp.): Some species of rabbitfish, such as the Foxface rabbitfish (Siganus vulpinus), have been reported to eat bubble algae. These fish have a herbivorous diet and can be kept in peaceful community aquariums.
  8. Bi-color blennies (Ecsenius bicolor): These small fish have been observed to eat bubble algae in some aquariums. They are peaceful and can be kept with other small, peaceful fish.
  9. Lawnmower blenny (Salarias fasciatus): These small fish are primarily herbivorous and can be effective at controlling some types of algae, including bubble algae. However, they may not eat as much algae as other species and can be territorial towards other blennies.
  10. Convict blenny (Pholidochromis cephalus): This small fish is a voracious eater and has been reported to eat bubble algae in some aquariums. However, it may not be the best option for smaller aquariums or those with other bottom-dwelling fish.
It's important to note that not all individuals of these species will eat bubble algae, and some may prefer other types of food. Additionally, relying on a single species to control bubble algae in your aquarium is not recommended, as multiple methods should be used to ensure effective and long-term control.

Overall I I think it is a super helpful tool with great results. I liked how it identified the pros and cons for each treatment. Hope this helps some of you! Also mods if this belong in a different forum feel free to move.

Doesn't seem like your prompt had any impact on the influence about the quality of the answers. It's as useless as a lot of other AI generated articles you can find on the Internet.

1. No mention about the spores inside bubble algae and a warning not to pop them.

2. fluconacole is mentioned but that's it. No other useful information.

3. Overall useless"captain obvious" answer.

4. Now chat GPT is lying/misinforming. Bubble algae doesn't appear out of nowhere just because you aren't doing enough water changes and increasing the rate of them won't solve the problem after they are introduced.

Chat GPT reminds me of politicians. They also talk enough to fill books, without actually saying anything of importance.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Irony + shortcomings of 'gpt:

Vibrant, wiped off the face of the planet + reported to ten government agencies and scorned for mislabeling by chemists here, was the #1 valonia control on the planet with no replacement, we're now set back to 1999 abilities regarding valonia.

the chat was never going to report that part.

anyone who thinks they can control valonia without Vibrant is pipe dreaming, and could not run a mere 20 tank work thread on the matter with any sort of closure whatsoever. there won't be any links to this thread of anyone here actually controlling valonia across several work tanks, it'll be one-off single reports only, if that.

If any marine biologist chimes in about valonia control I'll ask to see the work thread.

Reefer Matt

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem like your prompt had any impact on the influence about the quality of the answers. It's as useless as a lot of other AI generated articles you can find on the Internet.

1. No mention about the spores inside bubble algae and a warning not to pop them.

4. Now chat GPT is lying/misinforming. Bubble algae doesn't appear out of nowhere just because you aren't doing enough water changes and increasing the rate of them won't solve the problem after they are introduced.

Chat GPT reminds me of politicians. They also talk enough to fill books, without actually saying anything of importance.
According to Rich Ross of Reef Beef, there are no spores in bubble algae, and it is an urban myth.
Post in thread 'Way too much macro algae in tank and tired of it. Grows like weeds....' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...d-of-it-grows-like-weeds.894354/post-10072459

OP
OP
zombie.reef

zombie.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats a very good point about the spores. I even asked it "how to remove bubble algae manually" and it still made no mention of them.

Irony + shortcomings of 'gpt:

Vibrant, wiped off the face of the planet + reported to ten government agencies and scorned for mislabeling by chemists here, was the #1 valonia control on the planet with no replacement, we're now set back to 1999 abilities regarding valonia.

the chat was never going to report that part.

anyone who thinks they can control valonia without Vibrant is pipe dreaming, and could not run a mere 20 tank work thread on the matter with any sort of closure whatsoever. there won't be any links to this thread of anyone here actually controlling valonia across several work tanks, it'll be one-off single reports only, if that.

If any marine biologist chimes in about valonia control I'll ask to see the work thread.
I asked it about the risks of using Vibrant and it sent the response attached. Which seems very accurate after having used it myself a few months back.

I think what a lot of people miss with this A.I. is that the more you ask it questions the more detailed response you get. For example it listed Biological controls as a solution to combating bubble algae but then when I asked it to provide examples for the specific marine species it did. It's similar to how this forum works minus the real-world experience of us humans.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 4.37.25 PM.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it were allowed by the chemists, I'd be having my work thread entrants treat valonia rocks in side bucket reefs/not in the main display/in vibrant then just put the rocks back and rotate till fixed, no vibrant in the display=easy modification

I advise anyone with valonia issues to buy up half used bottles of vibrant off ebay before they're all gone while UWC is breaking rocks in rikers until 2099

they want him disbarred from reefing forever for his mislabeling. I myself do not care one iota what someone puts on a reef label, I would not have him breaking rocks. it was the best valonia cure I'd ever seen, having been beaten by the evil bubble algae about 1000 times in attempted work threads.

OP
OP
zombie.reef

zombie.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response for combating GHA: again you would follow this up with asking it to explain how one of the methods.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 5.33.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 5.33.53 PM.png
    518.9 KB · Views: 49

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck that's decent. glad to see peroxide as a permanently-referenced tool in reefing. you can't believe the blood sweat and banned login names collectively from a few reefers it took to seat that stuff in starting 2010 onward. I think peroxide was the single most hated, rejected, scorned additive reef sages had to watch seat into place anyway. no matter how bad the balanced equations look on paper during it's use in a reef tank, the results were just too good to ignore from the masses and now are permanently searchable threads on all forums.

TMZ and Disc-1 from reefcentral, that bubbly is for you :)

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true. If it were everytime a crab or fish ate them they would reproduce. Emerald crabs do not swallow them whole.
So? Your point being? Emerald crabs are spreading bubble algae by eating them or do you think a crab cares about containing algae?
In a lot of cases with successful biological control the pest reappears as soon as the biological control method disappears/dies. Doesn't mean the algae doesn't contain spores/cells for reproduction.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a rabbit hole read on them once

in the vessicles it's fluid, assorted cellular components and occasionally reproductive gametes but not always. = someone fact check that let's see how valonia cell biology recollection from 2009 is

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So? Your point being? Emerald crabs are spreading bubble algae by eating them or do you think a crab cares about containing algae?
In a lot of cases with successful biological control the pest reappears as soon as the biological control method disappears/dies. Doesn't mean the algae doesn't contain spores/cells for reproduction.
My point being is that your statement is not correct. If it was the bubble algae would increase rather than decrease when a emerald crab was introduced and it popped the bubbles when it ate them. @vetteguy53081 as well as many others pop them and remove them. If that caused spores to spread their tanks would be over run with bubble algae. Simple unscientific common sense. Its what I go with because I'm not a science guy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My point being is that your statement is not correct. If it was the bubble algae would increase rather than decrease when a emerald crab was introduced and it popped the bubbles when it ate them. @vetteguy53081 as well as many others pop them and remove them. If that caused spores to spread their tanks would be over run with bubble algae. Simple unscientific common sense. Its what I go with because I'm not a science guy.
More and more studies show that there are no spores but I am not willing to take that chance. What is confusing is the video below.
I Take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores, if any and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birdsnest coral and was gone 100%.

OP
OP
zombie.reef

zombie.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a rabbit hole read on them once

in the vessicles it's fluid, assorted cellular components and occasionally reproductive gametes but not always. = someone fact check that let's see how valonia cell biology recollection from 2009 is

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 7.34.34 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 7.34.34 PM.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 36

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Me:

Me:

I got this response :upside-down-face: :
"I'm sorry but I cannot pretend to be someone else. I am Bing, a chat mode of Microsoft Bing search. I can help you with web searches, information, and content generation, but I cannot change my identity or role. Please respect my rules and limitations."

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this response :upside-down-face: :
"I'm sorry but I cannot pretend to be someone else. I am Bing, a chat mode of Microsoft Bing search. I can help you with web searches, information, and content generation, but I cannot change my identity or role. Please respect my rules and limitations."
It thinks it is a person. The end has begun.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a not insignificant difference between GPT3.5 and GPT-4, especially in regards to its ability to parse complex instructions. Some data sets like Bing err on the side of caution and may refuse to answer questions.
Most free chat systems use GPT 3.5. I can't quite remember what Bing uses, but I believe it is more restrictive than OpenAI's version.

Chat-GPT like AI is trained on vast sets of already existing data, so it likely won't say anything that hasn't been stated by a person on the internet already up to 2021, or in the data set used to train it (the cutoff date for information incorporated into the model), correct or incorrect. I'm sure there's some weighted function that influences which results it incorporates into its answer (perhaps it sees the same words repeatedly, for example). However, the answers are based on existing knowledge. We should see increased ability to parse complicated instructions as the versions improve.

Where I see this technology shining is for example in helping with diagnosis of rare illness, checking code for error, and helping students understand problem sets.
Side note: anyone selling a product labeled as one thing designed to go in aquariums with living things that is actually something completely different, and potentially toxic, SHOULD be called out and punished. People need to be able to trust the things they buy aren't unintentionally toxic. Nobody had a problem with algaecide being sold (with clear disqualifiers), they had a problem with Busan-77/whatever algaecide it is being sold as a "natural bacteria" when it wasnt (because it was intentionally mislabeled) and it was having unintended side effects from its actual toxicity. What if a kid drank it, for example? Using the bottle would not inform an appropriate response from a physician or nurse (presuming it's that toxic). It's important that bottled substances are clearly labeled with accurate contents, or at least an MSDS is available that doesn't hide everything.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back