OP
zombie.reef

zombie.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this response :upside-down-face: :
"I'm sorry but I cannot pretend to be someone else. I am Bing, a chat mode of Microsoft Bing search. I can help you with web searches, information, and content generation, but I cannot change my identity or role. Please respect my rules and limitations."
I haven't used Bing A.I. yet but it scares me because i saw this thread on Twitter a few weeks back :flushed-face:

FpW7Z3dWIAA1mDD.jpg

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard someone way smarter than me discussing the dangers of AI in general (and specifically of chatGPT).

His suggestion that this technology has the potential to cause "civilizational destruction" was a little disconcerting.
I think the big problem a lot of people have with it is that it’s still able to be skewed towards a certain “agenda” or “viewpoint” depending on “who” created said AI. It isn’t autonomous (I think I spelled that correctly) at all really.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Bing needs work...it cops an attitude sometimes, or it straight up refuses to answer some questions. Hopefully we can expedite legislation around ground rules for these sorts of things - we barely have any internet laws (i.e. digital privacy rules, cookie consent, etc) and the web has exploded far beyond our control. I'm not optimistic this technology won't eventually be squirreled away privately for the benefit of a small amount of people vs being open source and for the average Joe to use, but I could be wrong.

As for any agenda, that's an inherent issue with any AI trained on existing data. That's likely something that organizations making it are trying to avoid with extensive testing and algorithms.

Here's the thing though - it's likely once an AI gets "intelligent" enough to respond autonomously (i.e. come to its own original conclusions) that people still wouldn't listen to it anyways, lol. The future is potentially crazy though. I wouldn't doubt in the next 10 years the technology exponentially improves.

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the big problem a lot of people have with it is that it’s still able to be skewed towards a certain “agenda” or “viewpoint” depending on “who” created said AI. It isn’t autonomous (I think I spelled that correctly) at all really.
It is based on the information that is available on the internet. "Must be true"

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as it gets out of control..nobody will be able to get it back under control. Simple as that.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is based on the information that is available on the internet. "Must be true"
Correct and the most accessible modern internet information is highly controlled/censored/gate kept by big tech companies. Draw your own conclusions as to how that could become a problem.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have to keep in mind that it's important to advocate for an open source model for this technology. That is the best way to help it do good things. There is no doubt that it's possible to abuse this technology and we should stay vigilant. But artificial intelligence also has the ability to transform a lot of lives in a positive manner. How it is used and what is allowable is where we should assert our voices. Agriculture, nutrition, manufacturing, logistics could all be optimized at a level far above now.
On a hobbyist level , imagine an AI that monitored your tank, but knew enough to troubleshoot beyond base steps and could offer you suggestions when something went off the rails, or offered a tailor made dosing regimen, could tell you how much to add of something to get a specific concentration, etc. Or figured out hundreds of novel molecules (drug discovery is an area AI should rapidly accelerate) for an effective antibiotic/anti whatever to treat Black Band Disease in the Carribean. So it's got great potential...BUT I think we are in a small window to act as the technology is progressing rapidly.
I asked ChatGPT to suggest ways AI could work with marine conservation and rate it out of 10 for feasibility and potential impact. Even though this stuff is generated from existing data and not all is realistic (i told it to be creative), it shows the potential AI has in assisting with ideas for future stuff. Even if 80% of this is not feasible, it says some neat suggestions.

Screenshot_20230415_041913_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20230415_041908_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point being is that your statement is not correct. If it was the bubble algae would increase rather than decrease when a emerald crab was introduced and it popped the bubbles when it ate them. @vetteguy53081 as well as many others pop them and remove them. If that caused spores to spread their tanks would be over run with bubble algae. Simple unscientific common sense. Its what I go with because I'm not a science guy.
Common sense also dictates that some biological control (for example emerald crabs) may remove algae faster than it can spread. I thought i made myself clear about this in my last post.
This actually happens with aiptasia and nudibranchs.
If we want to be certain, we had to pop a few dozends bubble algae in sterile tanks and wait for the results. Everything else is just speculation, but im not gonna risk it. Chat GPT doesn't know either so it should have mentioned this possibility.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been loving Chat GPT. I do know there are some inconsistencies with it and it’s been used for academic dishonesty unfortunately. But I think it’s just the beginning and it will significantly improve. It’s Google on steroids and I find it interesting how all the info was manually entered and it isn't connected to the internet though. I think it’s helpful to rate and fact check the info as well.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have to keep in mind that it's important to advocate for an open source model for this technology. That is the best way to help it do good things. There is no doubt that it's possible to abuse this technology and we should stay vigilant. But artificial intelligence also has the ability to transform a lot of lives in a positive manner. How it is used and what is allowable is where we should assert our voices. Agriculture, nutrition, manufacturing, logistics could all be optimized at a level far above now.
On a hobbyist level , imagine an AI that monitored your tank, but knew enough to troubleshoot beyond base steps and could offer you suggestions when something went off the rails, or offered a tailor made dosing regimen, could tell you how much to add of something to get a specific concentration, etc. Or figured out hundreds of novel molecules (drug discovery is an area AI should rapidly accelerate) for an effective antibiotic/anti whatever to treat Black Band Disease in the Carribean. So it's got great potential...BUT I think we are in a small window to act as the technology is progressing rapidly.
I asked ChatGPT to suggest ways AI could work with marine conservation and rate it out of 10 for feasibility and potential impact. Even though this stuff is generated from existing data and not all is realistic (i told it to be creative), it shows the potential AI has in assisting with ideas for future stuff. Even if 80% of this is not feasible, it says some neat suggestions.

Screenshot_20230415_041913_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20230415_041908_DuckDuckGo.jpg
No thanks. I want to do things for myself. It can't be creative. Not possible. All of the ideas it presented are regurgitated existing internet hogwash lingo jargon fodder. Sorry, nothing personal, but this technology, open source or not is silly. In fact, open source is even sillier.

We were deciding where to have lunch, and one of my younger staffers picked up his phone, and as he swiped to unlock, he said, "Let me think."

I prefer to think for myself.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that you'll be prevented from making your own restaurant choices or making your own creative decisions. That's perfectly understandable.

It's also very easy to say what isn't possible when we haven't really scratched the surface yet.

Maybe your staffer meant "let me look" as in let me look at all the local restaurants listed online. I doubt he plugged it in to an ai and said "pick my lunch for me"...

In any event, the technology is coming whether or not we're ready.

Just my 2c. I get where you are coming from though.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that you'll be prevented from making your own restaurant choices or making your own creative decisions. That's perfectly understandable.

It's also very easy to say what isn't possible when we haven't really scratched the surface yet.

Maybe your staffer meant "let me look" as in let me look at all the local restaurants listed online. I doubt he plugged it in to an ai and said "pick my lunch for me"...

In any event, the technology is coming whether or not we're ready.

Just my 2c. I get where you are coming from though.
Its coming. Phasing out combustion engine cars, in California they are trying to make installing a gas line in new construction illegal, don't charge your electric car because the grid can't support it, and so forth. Beyond meat becomes Soylent Green because of "cow farts"...

"The race to NetZero" They don't realize they will have to stop breathing to get there.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its coming. Phasing out combustion engine cars, in California they are trying to make installing a gas line in new construction illegal, don't charge your electric car because the grid can't support it, and so forth. Beyond meat becomes Soylent Green because of "cow farts"...

"The race to NetZero" They don't realize they will have to stop breathing to get there.
Get off the Fox News. Soylent green? You sound nuts.

good movie still

I live in California and we’ve got our eyes on you. So do my deep state friends and their cousins in the swamp. WE ALL DO! ONE OF US!

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to my sister about this earlier after seeing this here. I wanted it to link all the early British 60s rockers and the links to all their bands. It didn’t work out as well as talking to my major nerd brother.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back