Level up: What do you do to change the pH levels in your tank?

What do you do to change the pH level in your reef tank? (select all that apply)

• Fresh air from outside

Votes: 98 25.7%
  • Dose Kalkwasser

Votes: 121 31.8%
  • CO2 scrubber

Votes: 115 30.2%
  • Macroalgae

Votes: 92 24.1%
  • Other

Votes: 36 9.4%
  • I don’t do anything to change my pH

Votes: 104 27.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Level up: What do you do to change the pH levels in your tank?

When we are trying to create our own little slice of the ocean where our saltwater ecosystem can thrive, then using the ocean parameters can be a reasonable starting point. Many reef keepers have found that keeping their pH at or near a certain level, such as 7-8 to 8.5, is beneficial to the health of the tank and below that range can be detrimental. Rarely is the concern figuring out how to lower the pH although overusing pH additives can cause issues. For some, the environmental conditions in and around the aquarium keep the pH in a desired range whereas others struggle to raise the pH into their desired range or maybe want to change it toward a specific desired level. Do you focus on achieving a specific pH, and if so, what do you do to change your pH?

SamsReef_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @Pieces of the Ocean

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep the ph of my tanks as stable as possible. Meaning that they have the same range of swing everyday. I use fresh air and CO2 scrubbers to increase it if it falls below 7.8 at night. The summer is much lower than the winter in my area. I suspect the lake across the street controls much of the CO2 in the air around here.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
nothing, yet. eventually i’ll be making my skimmer into a recirculating co2 skimmer. just need the media and tubing

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an avast marine kalk reactor and a recirculating co2 scrubber. My ph peaks around 8.35 and doesn't go below 8.15 most days.

Lago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to a CO2 scrubber, macroalgae, and fresh air. I also have 4 airstones in the deepest part of my tank (my overflow) so the air has as much contact time as possible. My pH during peak times is around 8.1 for those wondering.

Ian Pelletier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a scrubber but now I’m fighting what I think is insane precipitation but I can’t tell because my sand was already hard from improper chemistry months back. I added my scrubber and went from 0.3 DKH consumption per day to 1.6 in just 5 days. I believe it’s now just chasing precipitation. I’m at 7.0 DKH and I’m afraid to stop dosing and plummet to my corals death. No idea what to do other than take scrubber offline and return to old dosing levels and hope it holds to somewhat normal swing that day on a hope and a prayer. Frustrated with this. Corals show so much sign of loving the new PH levels but I can’t be dosing this much alk waste fully chasing precipitation.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I dont do much as I prefer to see it stable than target a given number

Lago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a scrubber but now I’m fighting what I think is insane precipitation but I can’t tell because my sand was already hard from improper chemistry months back. I added my scrubber and went from 0.3 DKH consumption per day to 1.6 in just 5 days. I believe it’s now just chasing precipitation. I’m at 7.0 DKH and I’m afraid to stop dosing and plummet to my corals death. No idea what to do other than take scrubber offline and return to old dosing levels and hope it holds to somewhat normal swing that day on a hope and a prayer. Frustrated with this. Corals show so much sign of loving the new PH levels but I can’t be dosing this much alk waste fully chasing precipitation.
Just wondering, why not remove the CO2 media slowly until you eventually reach your old values?

Ian Pelletier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, why not remove the CO2 media slowly until you eventually reach your old values?
Would that work? It’s all brand new media and it’s pulling from the bottom up so I think it would be scrubbing full steam ahead until it scrubs no more. With that being said, I would love to maintain the new PH levels because the corals seems to love it. Is there anything I can do to have the new elevated PH and not have the precipitation? That would be most ideal!

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just installed a CO2 scrubber and pH shot up from 7.7-7.8 to 8.4-8.5.

Next step is to utilize Hydros and a pair of solenoids to control the air source.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long post. Old guy here rambling. ;) I voted fresh air.
I've been seeing a lot of mention about pH lately. Not sure if it's the new thing to track or I'm just now noticing the talk. I have 3 systems running and decided to check pH since I have a Hanna checker that I never really used because I've never bothered to check pH unless something strange was happening with coral.
2 tanks are close to each other in the dining room and living room. I drip kalk 24/7 and dose 20ml 2part in the 180g and only dose 10ml 2 part with no kalk in the other that's 75g total . At 9am pH of both tanks was 8.6 and at 7:30pm pH measures 8.6 in both. I thought it strange that they were identical since only one gets kalk. :thinking-face: Both have skimmers and chaeto fuge run on a reverse lighting cycle. Windows were open most of the time.
3rd tank is in the bedroom about 40g total, no skimmer, chaeto fuge here on a reverse cycle like the other two. With the windows closed and AC on all night. pH at 9am was 7.8 At 7:30 pm pH was up to 8. 4 with the room opened up. This tells me having warm bodies (2 adults and 2 dogs) breathing in an enclosed room has a huge affect on pH. I know common knowledge for most of you lol.
Overnight in the same room but with a window fan running and AC off 9:30am pH tested 8.4 Everything in this tank is doing well and sps frags starting to show decent growths. In spite of that I'm adding a skimmer and am going to run an air line to the outside and try to reduce the large swing I'm getting at night when the room is closed. I figure it can't hurt anything and may even help since stability is the key.

EDIT: Just an update for anyone having similar issues. I added a skimmer to the tank in our bedroom that was dropping to 7.8 over night. I temporarily added an air line running to our attic which is sealed from the living area and has soffit and ridge vents. Windows were closed and AC on all night with with all of us 4 mammals breathing and I'm happy to report that pH was 8.3 this morning. yay

Last edited:

Lago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that work? It’s all brand new media and it’s pulling from the bottom up so I think it would be scrubbing full steam ahead until it scrubs no more. With that being said, I would love to maintain the new PH levels because the corals seems to love it. Is there anything I can do to have the new elevated PH and not have the precipitation? That would be most ideal!
I would think so since you'd have less media to absorb the CO2 so I think removing a small amount per day would not harm the system. You can always run fresh air, I did this by cracking open my window and have the skimmer airline run outside. With the skimmer also I would open the valve all the way with so as much air can go inside it as possible. To make sure it wouldn't overflow of course I used some pieces if dry rock I had around and used a bandsaw to lift the skimmer out so head pressure won't cause the water to seep out. I also had a bit of that insulating foam that comes with AC's so I put some of that down so I can keep the tank cool.
With that I also got a air pump that's pushing fresh air into my overflow. Which has also helped me a bunch.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the combination of the alkalinity portion of ESV 2 Part along with opening windows keeps my daytime pH in the 8.3 and sometimes 8.4 range. My night time pH falls to around 7.8 though. I monitor pH with a Milwaukee monitor.

1691680854103.jpeg

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know my tank's pH. I have enough to worry about. I have a Milwaukee Ph Controller that I'm holding on to in case I want to fire up my calcium reactor some day. I resisted the urge to check the tank's pH with it though. I have messed with pH in the past with negative results each and every time.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda ash for alkalinity, Refugium on reverse light schedule.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back