Leveling an acrylic tank- 75gal

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" x 24" x 24" 120g made with 1/2" acrylic

Made by a very respected acrylic tank builder whose been in the business for years. I can't say for certain, but very much doubt he flame polished.

The only place it crazed was along edges where the mat was freshly cut. (It was on 3 edges, my memory is cr**.) The back edge of the mat was a factory cut edge, and no crazing took place along it. I assume it had plenty of time to finish out gassing while sitting in the factory/warehouse.

crazing1.jpeg

crazing2.jpeg

crazing3.jpeg

I don't want derail the OP's thread any more than I already have.

Like I said, just sharing my experience.

And on my current tank, the upgrade I'm doing this fall, and any future tanks (they'll all be acrylic, after trying it, I doubt I'll ever go back to glass) I won't be using a mat. Just my decision/plan.
Interesting… yeah it’s built fine with correct materials and the glue joints look solid… never seen anything like that.. that’s the last place I’d expect to see crazing..

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Hello! Looking for ideas, was setting up a new acrylic tank, has a flat bottom, the stand is a flat top, not solid wood. I put a little water in to see how leveled it was, had to shim/raise one side about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. But then I thought, towards the middle there is nothing supporting and I’m guessing the weight of a full tank would bow the tank and/or stand.
Looking for ideas or product I could use? I was think of using two leveling aquarium mats? One between the tank and stand and another under the stand.. does a thicker 1/2 inch leveler exist? Thanks
Hello reefer. I was in the same predicament 2 months ago almost. 180 gallon acrylic on this same stand. When i moved it to the living room my wife asked me, is that even going to hold up? It looks like it will buckle from the middle.

Upon looking into the stand underneath there were no cross braces to hold the weight in the middle. I am not sure if this stand you have is different but that would be a concern. My underrstanding is glass tanks can hold on the edges with no center brace, but acrylic needs to be supported in the middle.

Long story short, i sold the stand locally to someone and went with a stainless steel

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I’m seeing what you’re seeing. What do you mean by supports?
nothing, I know nothing about things holding weight.. I'll let the experts keep telling them it's fine. I see nothing wrong with the picture of the stand, disregard all my comments.

Best of luck.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing, I know nothing about things holding weight.. I'll let the experts keep telling them it's fine. I see nothing wrong with the picture of the stand, disregard all my comments.

Best of luck.
Don't want to beat a dead horse but I don't disagree with the stand looking flimsy but at least the top rests on those vertical pieces and the weight transfer isn't going through glue or screws. If it were me, I'd add some wood or plywood inside to beef things up but I've seen much worse stands.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0

Best of luck.

Don't want to beat a dead horse but I don't disagree with the stand looking flimsy but at least the top rests on those vertical pieces and the weight transfer isn't going through glue or screws. If it were me, I'd add some wood or plywood inside to beef things up but I've seen much worse stands.

Support across the middle is needed

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back