OP
P

Paul.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think 12”x12x12 with 2x6 new girders (two of them per girder so 4 total for this job) is sufficient? You initially said 24x24x12 concrete block with 2x8. Does it make a difference that I am in an earthquake prone area (California Bay Area )? Do I predrill before the galvanized deck screws are screwed in?

OP
OP
P

Paul.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your drawing are the piers 40” apart on center? And 10” over hang on both sides?

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,

The shoring is relative to the weight of the object and the height it is to be supported at. A two ton block 1/4" off the ground could be supported by 4 1/4" steel washers, the same block at 3' would require 12 x 12 cribbing. If we were to support that weight twenty feet above ground level, well that's a whole different animal. Engineering would be required to safely accomplish supporting a load that size twenty feet in the air.
I gave you large enough footings for a crawl space of 3' - 6' granted if it was the latter we would use adjustable pipe supports bolted into the footings and a U clamp at the top to accommodate the lumber and possibly some cross braces.

At 18" sister up the joist on both sides so the joist is three wide. Drag in four concrete blocks throw some pressure treated lumber on top so you can use 3"x 6" oak wedges and make them snug. DONE.

You can also use the wedges to level the floor in that area. Most important make sure the stand is directly over the top of the triple joists. The reason I suggest triple joists is too have room for error setting the stand.

Yes 40" with a 10" overhang.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back