Leveling mat under steel stand?

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a year I finally have started on the stand for my 90gal. I decided to forego the leveling feet for a more even load distribution because I’m on a raised foundation. The floor is pretty level but once the final welds are made the welder is worried that the heat might force the stand out of being 100% square. Will a self-leveling mat like the ones intended for under the tanks eliminate the need for shims in case it’s not 100% level when put in place?

Thanks!

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be wrong, but I think those mats are more designed to eliminate surface irregularities more so than actually leveling a stand.

As for the stand warping after welding, if it is all properly tacked and stagger the welds to distribute the stress/heat, should be alright.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be wrong, but I think those mats are more designed to eliminate surface irregularities more so than actually leveling a stand.

As for the stand warping after welding, if it is all properly tacked and stagger the welds to distribute the stress/heat, should be alright.

Its definitely tacked well. The product description is leveling mat. Now if it actually does what it says it does remains to be seen.

Greg Goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting a piece of 3/4" foam board underneath your tank will level it perfectly even if the stand is not sitting correctly. This will eliminate unnecessary strain on the seams and panels of your tank. Normal foam board will work but you can spend a few more dollars and get some nice moisture resistant black foam that looks real nice and isn't brittle.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting a piece of 3/4" foam board underneath your tank will level it perfectly even if the stand is not sitting correctly. This will eliminate unnecessary strain on the seams and panels of your tank. Normal foam board will work but you can spend a few more dollars and get some nice moisture resistant black foam that looks real nice and isn't brittle.

Thanks Greg! I’ve got 3/4” foam core at my shop but it’s white and somewhat brittle. Got a link for that kind of material?

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Greg! I’ve got 3/4” foam core at my shop but it’s white and somewhat brittle. Got a link for that kind of material?
Would the pink Insulation foam from the big box lumbers stores work?

Back