OP
OP
phytofish

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neoprene will not fix your uneven stand top. It will only stop the tank from wobbling which won't happen once filled anyway.

So do you think shims, yoga mat, or nothing? I have shims under it now

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so lemme sum it up for you: first make sure your stand is level. If the 4 corners of the tank are not resting on the stand, you have 3 sound choices imo.

1. Cut a piece of 1/2" ply and put it on top of the stand. Shim between the plywood and the stand until the tank sits level and flush on the plywood with all 4 corners touching at a minimum. Insert shims every 2-4 inches for optimal support.

2. Plane/sand the top of the stand to achieve the same result.

3. Re-build the stand.

Don't use shims directly between the tank and stand. You might be able to get away with it, but the plywood is much safer.

Neoprene, foam, yoga mat, etc all compress under weight and DO NOT SUPPORT THE TANK unless fully compressed (even then they will possibly flatten more overtime). So if you put it under a tank on an uneven stand, it will mold to fill the gaps, but you are still only supporting the parts of the tank that were touching the stand to begin with.

Those options are meant to remove surface irregularities like knots in the wood or screwheads etc (usually for acrylic or non bottom braced tanks) to prevent pressure points on the glass/acrylic, not to level anything.

Deep blue won't honor a warranty on your tank regardless since it's not on their stand, so they can say anything they want. I am not saying they are trying to deceive you (it's a common misconception that foam or neoprene can level/support a tank), they are simply misinformed.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did deep blue say they wouldn't warranty it if not on their stand? Miracles was cool with me using an approved design they looked over.

Big Jonny, you clearly know your stuff, do you make aquariums professionally?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did deep blue say they wouldn't warranty it if not on their stand? Miracles was cool with me using an approved design they looked over.

Big Jonny, you clearly know your stuff, do you make aquariums professionally?
I do not, but I have had similar issues in the past and consulted people on here as well as my uncle who is a structural engineer and carpenter(as a hobby).

The king of DIY also has a video on youtube about leveling stands and he explained that foam etc does not level a tank. First time I heard it actually.

OP
OP
phytofish

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6e7a3e47cb4cd718c90f058299e9f79f.jpg

These are the shims if you can see.. cut up pieces of the flexible cutting board.. now that i know where to put them and how many i may leave them there and put a leveling mat on top of that.. then i'll put the stand on top of the mat

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so lemme sum it up for you: first make sure your stand is level. If the 4 corners of the tank are not resting on the stand, you have 3 sound choices imo.

1. Cut a piece of 1/2" ply and put it on top of the stand. Shim between the plywood and the stand until the tank sits level and flush on the plywood with all 4 corners touching at a minimum. Insert shims every 2-4 inches for optimal support.

2. Plane/sand the top of the stand to achieve the same result.

3. Re-build the stand.

Don't use shims directly between the tank and stand. You might be able to get away with it, but the plywood is much safer.

Neoprene, foam, yoga mat, etc all compress under weight and DO NOT SUPPORT THE TANK unless fully compressed (even then they will possibly flatten more overtime). So if you put it under a tank on an uneven stand, it will mold to fill the gaps, but you are still only supporting the parts of the tank that were touching the stand to begin with.

Those options are meant to remove surface irregularities like knots in the wood or screwheads etc (usually for acrylic or non bottom braced tanks) to prevent pressure points on the glass/acrylic, not to level anything.

Deep blue won't honor a warranty on your tank regardless since it's not on their stand, so they can say anything they want. I am not saying they are trying to deceive you (it's a common misconception that foam or neoprene can level/support a tank), they are simply misinformed.
Great answer and solid answer.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya that doesn't look good. And its a rimmed tank you cant put a mat under those. That's a wave of water waiting to happen. I would make a new stand for your tank.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 57 gal deep blue rimless tank.. it's only rimless on top. There is a black brace around the bottom that crosses in the middle..
The tank is on my homemade stand and it wiggles ever so slightly.. the top of the stand is level but i guess isn't perfectly level across..

I guess this means i should get a leveling mat. Would Lowes or an ACE Hardware sell something that I could use for a leveling mat?

Or are there any other suggestions for fixing this?

SAND AND REFINISH !

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 57 gal deep blue rimless tank.. it's only rimless on top. There is a black brace around the bottom that crosses in the middle..
The tank is on my homemade stand and it wiggles ever so slightly.. the top of the stand is level but i guess isn't perfectly level across..

I guess this means i should get a leveling mat. Would Lowes or an ACE Hardware sell something that I could use for a leveling mat?

Or are there any other suggestions for fixing this?

Ok, since the tank is already empty, and you just know that if u do it the lazy way, it will just bug you until u fix it right anyways....lol

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I’m resurrecting this.. I have a 75 gallon 48in long braced going on my DIY stand and want to use a yoga mat as a imperfection absorber the stand is perfectly level And over build all lfs say but preferred. So will it help take more pressure off the seems and I don’t know if the consensus was yes they do take away the imperfections well? Thanks. Here’s my stand sanding it. I took it on the way 2 lfs a few days ago

4CC49912-C0B9-4C1F-A682-56CD2EB40521.jpeg

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I’m resurrecting this.. I have a 75 gallon 48in long braced going on my DIY stand and want to use a yoga mat as a imperfection absorber the stand is perfectly level And over build all lfs say but preferred. So will it help take more pressure off the seems and I don’t know if the consensus was yes they do take away the imperfections well? Thanks. Here’s my stand sanding it. I took it on the way 2 lfs a few days ago

4CC49912-C0B9-4C1F-A682-56CD2EB40521.jpeg

"Leveling" mats (don't level anything) or foam are for trimless glass aquariums or acrylic aquariums. They are to reduce pressure points on the bottom caused by imperfections in the surface material (plywood etc). Trimmed glass aquariums do not rest on the bottom, they have trim around the exterior that takes all the load, and trim cannot shatter from minor imperfections on the surface.

If you have a standard trimmed aquarium, just make sure your stand is level and that all 4 corners of the aquarium sit flat on the stand. That's it. Adding a yoga mat would actually reduce the stability of the aquarium and could end up putting pressure on the bottom glass (which never gets touched by the stand normally).

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Leveling" mats (don't level anything) or foam are for trimless glass aquariums or acrylic aquariums. They are to reduce pressure points on the bottom caused by imperfections in the surface material (plywood etc). Trimmed glass aquariums do not rest on the bottom, they have trim around the exterior that takes all the load, and trim cannot shatter from minor imperfections on the surface.

If you have a standard trimmed aquarium, just make sure your stand is level and that all 4 corners of the aquarium sit flat on the stand. That's it. Adding a yoga mat would actually reduce the stability of the aquarium and could end up putting pressure on the bottom glass (which never gets touched by the stand normally).
Ok so the none rimless and the plastic bracing does all that for me? I’m still using a mat and is a 30^squish incase. So use it or don’t as the only point is the outside of the tanks trim but I don’t want any seam pressure and more I can relieve the better for me 2 sleep. I can see a 48” glass Panel getting pressured would bust regardless so it’s y I used 2x6. I know I’m crazy but it’s my new tank as my sebea is killing corals now it’s 16 inches. Thanks a lot!!!

image.jpg

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is level and is a poplar tables. So it’s level it’s just for pressure. And I’ve seen people use styrofoam under there braced tank on the glass part like 2 take up pressure from the bottom but figured there build for that pressure so it’s counter acting the bracing and would possible cause a seam break? I’m sorry just want the best under it b4 it’s started up 2morrow

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is level and is a poplar tables. So it’s level it’s just for pressure. And I’ve seen people use styrofoam under there braced tank on the glass part like 2 take up pressure from the bottom but figured there build for that pressure so it’s counter acting the bracing and would possible cause a seam break? I’m sorry just want the best under it b4 it’s started up 2morrow
Do you have a standard 75g aquarium? If so don't use any mat or foam.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends, does it have a plastic rim on the bottom? If it's a standard rimmed aquarium, then no.
Yes it has black trim around the bottom

I’m worried about in the middle it has a gap the ends are all ok it’s just the middle

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back