LFS and fish

NO3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I’ve been in this hobby for quite sometime now and I am sick and tired of flushing dead fish. I have a 90 gallon saltwater FOWLR tank with UV and SD installed, my SD is broken in since May of this year. My traits and trites are zero. And pH hovers around 8-8.2.

I always purchase my fish from my LFS for years, since they are the only one close by. When I ask the guys that work there why my fish keep dying, I get the same speech. They get stressed from the travel and they are wild fish caught from the ocean. I understand all that, I’ve been hearing the same line for years! Does anyone think the supplier is sending the LFS bad or not strong fish?

I at wits end here, I seriously don’t know what more I can do. Any help is always appreciated, thank you.

NO3

Mhalko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tried to order fish online and get them shipped directly to you? A quarantine is essential if you do but that will at least give you a better idea as if something is wrong with your system vs. the supplier.
I know order online may be scary but in most cases it’s the same thing that your LFS is doing just on a smaller scale. I prefer to buy my fish from my LFS but haven’t had any horror stories with the fish I’ve order online. Knock on wood I don’t next time.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry you are frustrated with this. I do get it, it sucks when you lose something you just paid for and worse, the life that was in our care is gone.

as for them giving you a line... maybe... but I think there is truth in it. Fish do get stressed in transport. Remember the temp, the Ph and alk all change, they do their business in the transport container and are more susceptible to stress related disease. To be honest it’s a wonder any of them make it at all.
Poor collection habits and wholesalers add to this too. Bu the time they are to us they have been through the ringer.

I am not sure there is a good answer to this at least not an easy one.

Fo your best to give the best care you can to your animals and don’t skimp on what they need. In the end we are responsible to them as much as the supply chain.

OP
OP
N

NO3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give it a shot, Can you suggest what online retailer you use?
NO3

OP
OP
N

NO3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry you are frustrated with this. I do get it, it sucks when you lose something you just paid for and worse, the life that was in our care is gone.

as for them giving you a line... maybe... but I think there is truth in it. Fish do get stressed in transport. Remember the temp, the Ph and alk all change, they do their business in the transport container and are more susceptible to stress related disease. To be honest it’s a wonder any of them make it at all.
Poor collection habits and wholesalers add to this too. Bu the time they are to us they have been through the ringer.

I am not sure there is a good answer to this at least not an easy one.

Fo your best to give the best care you can to your animals and don’t skimp on what they need. In the end we are responsible to them as much as the supply chain.

It’s just heartbreaking for me, or for anyone to net out a dead fish in the tank. The only fish in my tank right now that’s lived the longest is my snowflake eel. I’ve had this eel for about 8yrs now. He’s survived thru everything, even jumping out of the tank! I don’t skimp on my tank. I only use RO/DI water when I do water changes, I replace my sock filter every month. I don’t wash the old one, I throw it away.

I can’t keep tangs, angels, butterflies, triggers, tusks etc for an extended period of time. They seem to last for about 2-4 weeks tops!

NO3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just heartbreaking for me, or for anyone to net out a dead fish in the tank. The only fish in my tank right now that’s lived the longest is my snowflake eel. I’ve had this eel for about 8yrs now. He’s survived thru everything, even jumping out of the tank!

I can’t keep tangs, angels, butterflies, triggers, tusks etc for an extended period of time. They seem to last for about 2-4 weeks tops!

NO3
I understand. I hate when things die. For me I can’t seem to figure out the Trackys. Every other coral thrives in my tanks, but trackys... I just can’t win. I want to keep them so badly so I study and read and watch videos and ask questions but all with the same result. SPS no problem, all other LPS easy just the darn tracky....

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just heartbreaking for me, or for anyone to net out a dead fish in the tank. The only fish in my tank right now that’s lived the longest is my snowflake eel. I’ve had this eel for about 8yrs now. He’s survived thru everything, even jumping out of the tank! I don’t skimp on my tank. I only use RO/DI water when I do water changes, I replace my sock filter every month. I don’t wash the old one, I throw it away.

NO3
What do you do for acclimation and qt?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using rodi water? Have you checked for stray voltage?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your pumps and heaters? You'll need a volt meter

OP
OP
N

NO3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pumps, 1 is about 5 yrs old and the second is less than a year. Both are Siccie pumps. My heater is about 2 yrs old

NO3

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop purchasing from them.
Fish that have been properly acclimated and QT’d through the chain are rarely a problem.

OP
OP
N

NO3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just May have to look somewhere else, thanks for the tip!

NO3

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to start quarantine and treat the fish prior to sticking them in your tank. I could see getting a bad fish or two, but if every fish you put in your system dies I would say there is simmering more going on than a couple sick fish.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple questions....

1. Do you quarantine or just put them in DT?
2. Do you notice anything on the fish that would point to a disease?
3. Do the fish look good/normal when you get them home?

If all of your fish last less than a month then there is a systemic problem somewhere.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I wouldn't add any other fish to your tank until you figure out an issue. That's for the fish and your mental health of losing more of them

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back