OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, ignore the Anthias. There were actually yellow tangs in the tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are full of it. They wont be available for sell in any LFS for a long time yet. If you watch the video interview with the people who actually bred them, they say that too. The first wave of the yellow tangs are going to aquariums and other facilities for study and what-not.

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are full of it. They wont be available for sell in any LFS for a long time yet. If you watch the video interview with the people who actually bred them, they say that too. The first wave of the yellow tangs are going to aquariums and other facilities for study and what-not.

Actually this is wrong, they shipped them out two days ago to two large wholesalers, so depending on the wholesalers turn around time they could have gotten out to the public already.

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2016/03/08/the-tangs-have-landed/

So you are misinformed, and out of date in your info.....not saying the store is honest, not saying it isn't....just saying they are out there to purchase.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually this is wrong, they shipped them out two days ago to two large wholesalers, so depending on the wholesalers turn around time they could have gotten out to the public already.

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2016/03/08/the-tangs-have-landed/

So you are misinformed, and out of date in your info.....not saying the store is honest, not saying it isn't....just saying they are out there to purchase.

Well considering I work at an LFS and we literally checked two days ago if they would be available and we were told exactly what I just related, then maybe our suppliers are lying to us. Hmm... that's awfully rude of them.

I apologize for having out of date information and apparently insulting you with it.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be garbage anyway... I think they should have waited longer before releasing them to LFS. If it is true they are selling them..

Just got off the phone with my fish guy :)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The retail price will be ~$100 on these fish unless the retailer chooses to lose money.

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well considering I work at an LFS and we literally checked two days ago if they would be available and we were told exactly what I just related, then maybe our suppliers are lying to us. Hmm... that's awfully rude of them.

I apologize for having out of date information and apparently insulting you with it.

No problem:) You didn't insult me, just saying that up to date information is always a good thing. I just find it improper when a scientific advancement is made (yes captive breeding is one), and people don't get the facts straight as that has previously caused issues in other matters. Anyways, back to the main topic......Do you deal with these two suppliers? Perhaps your suppliers just told you this because they couldn't get any themselves and didn't want to look inferior?

They seem to be garbage anyway... I think they should have waited longer before releasing them to LFS. If it is true they are selling them..

Just got off the phone with my fish guy :)

Why are they garbage? Any specific reason? Unhealthy?

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not lying to you, Meredith.

At this time Segrest Farms and Quality Marine are not shipping the cultured yellow tangs to LFS.

The retail price will be ~$100 on these fish unless the retailer chooses to lose money.

Nice to know!:) Never did see anything that said they got shipped....but no source saying that they weren't either....assumming two wholesalers would want them out quickly, make the money for them fast, since it is doubtful they could get them breeding on their own.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem:) You didn't insult me, just saying that up to date information is always a good thing. I just find it improper when a scientific advancement is made (yes captive breeding is one), and people don't get the facts straight as that has previously caused issues in other matters. Anyways, back to the main topic......Do you deal with these two suppliers? Perhaps your suppliers just told you this because they couldn't get any themselves and didn't want to look inferior?

Why are they garbage? Any specific reason? Unhealthy?

We do, but not regularly. Ill have to call them tomorrow morning and see what i see. I doubt we would be able to nab any of them though..... a little too late to the plate this go round. Sucks we got the wrong info on that.

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just got in a shipment of these from Segrest Farms.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats so great about captive bred tangs. Is this about tangs not being allowed to be caught anymore?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back