LFS has captive bred yellow tangs...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is HLLE? is that the way there face is a different color?

Head & Lateral Line Erosion "HLLE":

Symptoms - HLLE literally looks as though the skin is rotting or peeling off the fish. Affected areas usually include the face and lateral line, and may be white in color.

Treatment options - This is more of a condition than an actual disease. Since no one can agree on the exact cause, all you can do is address all of the following theories regarding HLLE:

1) Stray voltage - Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage.
2) Running carbon - Don’t use it, or use only premium grade carbon.
3) Nutritional deficiency - Feed high quality nutritional foods. Some have had success reversing the effects of HLLE by soaking food in “fish vitamins” and also feeding nori.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to be hard to overcome.

For those ones yea, I don't think they will ever fully recover. But hopefully it will heal over somewhat as they age.

Here's me hoping that the next batch is vastly improved in appearance, I'm sure the breeders are working diligently to find the missing ingredient.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lateral line to fish is like spine to human

Not really, the lateral line is a highly sensitive nerve line that helps fish detect movement and other things that help in its survival and way of life. Fish have spines as well.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in your spine

I know what your trying to get at, but you used the analogy wrong. our spine along with the fish spine is bone/cartilage the encase a nerve strand the length of the body. The lateral line is just under the skin with no bone protection.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be more akin to ripping your eyes out. But my statement was made because captive bred is way better than wild caught. I'm hoping this doesn't go the way of oras mandarin project. Not enough people willing to pay for CB. If my tank was ready for a tang, I'd get one.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be more akin to ripping your eyes out. But my statement was made because captive bred is way better than wild caught. I'm hoping this doesn't go the way of oras mandarin project. Not enough people willing to pay for CB. If my tank was ready for a tang, I'd get one.

No doubt I'd be right there with ya

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how can we promote CBs? We're not doing a good job yet, if I'm still reading some of the excuses I've been reading. I see articles and threads and such, but still there's negativity.

People are going to be forced into CB in the future, because I think this hobby will be taken away from us eventually. Whatever we've successfully bred to that point is what we'll have. But the lack of some species will rest on the shoulders of those that said the $15 price difference was too much.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local saltwater captive bred supplier got these in yesterday. If he still has one, or gets more in a few months one will come home.

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how can we promote CBs? We're not doing a good job yet, if I'm still reading some of the excuses I've been reading. I see articles and threads and such, but still there's negativity.

People are going to be forced into CB in the future, because I think this hobby will be taken away from us eventually. Whatever we've successfully bred to that point is what we'll have. But the lack of some species will rest on the shoulders of those that said the $15 price difference was too much.

People need to get over that price difference, they need to see that spending a bit extra and saving the Ocean's, in-particularly the coral reefs is critical and worth the little bit extra, buy one less frag or a couple less coffees in the week and it makes up for it.

I think if more people understood the work put into raising a CB it would change things. I also think that if people really understood the negatives of removing thousands of tangs off of a coral reef each year, then they might look more into a CB, however since most people don't see all the tangs removed they just see it as the single one they are purchasing it is different. If as a hobby we generated a demand for CB you would see A LOT of them, however as many people are showing there isn't a huge demand and a lot of people are willing to just buy the wild-caught ones anyways.

Simply put removal of herbivorous fish is HORRIBLE for coral reefs, as it allows macroalgae to overgrow the corals and ultimately it causes bleaching and coral death! (Want some papers on this, just go to google scholar and check it out, you'll find A LOT of research on it).

Anyways, I think this captive-bred movement needs to take off, and I think more and more people need to work towards making it a reality, for the sack of wild-populations and the health of coral reefs.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People need to get over that price difference, they need to see that spending a bit extra and saving the Ocean's, in-particularly the coral reefs is critical and worth the little bit extra, buy one less frag or a couple less coffees in the week and it makes up for it.

I think if more people understood the work put into raising a CB it would change things. I also think that if people really understood the negatives of removing thousands of tangs off of a coral reef each year, then they might look more into a CB, however since most people don't see all the tangs removed they just see it as the single one they are purchasing it is different. If as a hobby we generated a demand for CB you would see A LOT of them, however as many people are showing there isn't a huge demand and a lot of people are willing to just buy the wild-caught ones anyways.

Simply put removal of herbivorous fish is HORRIBLE for coral reefs, as it allows macroalgae to overgrow the corals and ultimately it causes bleaching and coral death! (Want some papers on this, just go to google scholar and check it out, you'll find A LOT of research on it).

Anyways, I think this captive-bred movement needs to take off, and I think more and more people need to work towards making it a reality, for the sack of wild-populations and the health of coral reefs.

Last time I checked it was my wallet and my budget, it's not people it's businesses over pricing things. You guys need to get off your high horse. This hobby is not good for the reefs that's it PERIOD. I'm not gonna be lectured by anyone on this forum because we are all guilty of taking from the ocean.

LFS have more to lose than we do they are the ones that need to take price into consideration. When you can get CB clowns for cheap there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get CB YT for a reasonable price as well.

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I checked it was my wallet and my budget, it's not people it's businesses over pricing things. You guys need to get off your high horse. This hobby is not good for the reefs that's it PERIOD. I'm not gonna be lectured by anyone on this forum because we are all guilty of taking from the ocean.

LFS have more to lose than we do they are the ones that need to take price into consideration. When you can get CB clowns for cheap there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get CB YT for a reasonable price as well.

It is your choice, all of us have a choice.

But what that choice will dictate is the future (existence) of the hobby.

CB clowns can be successfully raised in a home setup, with effort and commitment, that speaks to the relative ease of breeding and rearing today.

Comparing clown breeding to the resources currently required to breed yellow tangs is apples and oranges.

When you are able to log on to your local forum and find a fellow hobbyist breeding tangs and offering them for sale then comparing the two makes more sense. But since they breed differently, require different foods, and habitat it would still be quite a different amount of resources to raise CB tangs.

Market only dictates price to a certain extent, you cannot set the price so low that you can not sustain the products production.

LFS don't have more to lose than we do.. They may lose their business due to people flocking to the lowest price online competitor. We can end up losing the hobby, which would also close the LFS.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS don't have more to lose than we do.. They may lose their business due to people flocking to the lowest price online competitor. We can end up losing the hobby, which would also close the LFS.

They don't have more to lose than we do??? We lose the hobby they lose their jobs seems black and white to me.

Also I understand right now it may be harder to raise CB tangs but I don't imagine it was easy when the clowns first started being CB either... Before my time only speculating.

Listen I'm not saying be cheap and buy the cheapest stuff however I'm tired of the sky high prices because of greed I get it you are trying to make money but these 100% profit margins are garbage. It's just like these 1 inch frags for thousands of dollars pure greed.

My LFS marks up 10 dollars off whole sale I just bought a goldflake angel for 255 dollars that's right 255. Unbeatable. Anywhere else that's a 400-500 dollar fish.

Not to mention there's a whole lot more going on with the reefs then shading due to macro algae. Warm temps are also a huge problem.

Last edited:

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to pump the brakes on this conversation because we are getting off track. I can see where it's going I think saving the Reefs is awesome and I'm all for it but I am absolutely not going to be taken advantage of by businesses looking for another way to make more money off kind hearted reef loving people. Not saying a CB tang doesn't cost more money for them to acquire I'm just saying I can see the writing on the wall and that's EXACLY what they will do it won't be 5-10 dollars more it'll be double or triple....for example 70 dollars posted by the OP. That's over triple what I can get a YT for.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to bring up another point what if it was a captive bred GEM tangs 2600 dollar fish as it stands right now. If LFS started selling them CB the price of gems is going to drop substantially. But I bet ya no one would be on here saying the prices should go up from 2600 not down because they CB now.

If CB of tangs takes off the supply is going to take off. Which will drive the price down not up.

Back