LFS has captive bred yellow tangs...

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We aren't destroying natural populations. Just like we do with coral now.

so they double or even triple in value because of this? Its still the same fish. I mean I'm all for the keeping them in the wild, but I don't understand the increase in price. I guess there will be more demand for them now?

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so they double or even triple in value because of this? Its still the same fish. I mean I'm all for the keeping them in the wild, but I don't understand the increase in price. I guess there will be more demand for them now?

Once they get the breeding down I would assume the health of the fish is overall better. This I would pay a large premium for. I am sick of sick fish :).

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they get the breeding down I would assume the health of the fish is overall better. This I would pay a large premium for. I am sick of sick fish :).

valid point. Raised in a LFS they should be completely resistant to ich they would of had it so many times by the time they are ready to be sold : )

JK of course

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
valid point. Raised in a LFS they should be completely resistant to ich they would of had it so many times by the time they are ready to be sold : )

I think you shop at the wrong LFS :). Ask to custom order fish and omit the LFS tanks... From the Ocean to my QT.. I would rather have from breeding tank to my QT..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality Marine got some of them (pics below). But it seems nearly all captive bred yellow tangs suffer from HLLE. Probably a nutritional deficiency; Some food source they aren't getting in captivity when young that they normally would get in the wild.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, that picture was from two and a half weeks ago. Those fish just started shipping out two days ago to my knowledge. The LFS is lying. That's my only point.

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats so great about captive bred tangs. Is this about tangs not being allowed to be caught anymore?

It is about preserving an fragile ecosystem, a major concern for coral reefs is the decrease of herbivores, which eat macroalgae, this in turns prevents shading and overgrowth of slower growing coral colonies.

So basically keeping one of the most biologically diverse ecosystems on the planet alive and healthy is what is so great about captive bred tangs! :)

(Sorry, just couldn't resist)

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is about preserving an fragile ecosystem, a major concern for coral reefs is the decrease of herbivores, which eat macroalgae, this in turns prevents shading and overgrowth of slower growing coral colonies.

So basically keeping one of the most biologically diverse ecosystems on the planet alive and healthy is what is so great about captive bred tangs! :)

(Sorry, just couldn't resist)
Yea i get all that. I meant greatness in reference to price.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats so great about captive bred tangs. Is this about tangs not being allowed to be caught anymore?

IMO; it's only a matter of time before wild caught SW fish are banned. So, it's a race against the clock to figure out how to breed most of them before that happens. Every step counts.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are going to make me cry. How is it as a hobby we've missed the value of captive breds.

I can't wait for the day that the marine aquarium trade will be on the level of the freshwater guys when it comes to breeding.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We won't get there if our own doesn't support the effort..... look at the mandarins.

I believe the mandarins failed because they made the false sense that they were eating prepared foods. They should have just stuck to them being captive bred and said no more.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't responding to a statement about the ecosystem, so kindly don't put that in my mouth. It was the comment directly above mine "I can't wait for the day that the marine aquarium trade will be on the level of the freshwater guys when it comes to breeding".

Last edited:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the mandarins failed because they made the false sense that they were eating prepared foods. They should have just stuck to them being captive bred and said no more.

We should have been able to see beyond that. When we realized they wouldn't eat prepared, all that should have been said was.... "Poop. That sucks, but oh well they are still captive bred and worth it". The same things that were being said about them are being said about the tangs. "Double or triple the cost for the same fish". They are not he same fish and why I feel we're missing the point..... the very VERY important point.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back