LFS has captive bred yellow tangs...

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so they double or even triple in value because of this? Its still the same fish. I mean I'm all for the keeping them in the wild, but I don't understand the increase in price. I guess there will be more demand for them now?
It costs a lot more to maintain breeding stock, pay researchers/workers, cost of systems to house fish, cost of place to put systems to house fish, raise food cultures, successfully breed, raise the young, grow them out, then ship for sale, compared to costs of collecting wild fish. Price is more because cost of producing that fish for market is higher, but if they aren't supported initially these efforts will stop - like the ORA mandarin.

So what happens then, if snorkelbob gets his way?

That's why they deserve us paying a bit more for the "same" fish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why they deserve us paying a bit more for the "same" fish

My wife has been pushing me for years now to start some sort of business selling disease-free fish. Why don't I do it? Because I realize bottom line is all that matters to most people. I know myself... I would spend months QT/conditioning a fish (if necessary) before selling it. I already do that before rehoming a sick fish I rescued for experimentation purposes. All I ever ask is the exact same price I paid for the fish before I QT/medicated/conditioned it, and sometimes I have a hard time even getting that. :eek: People around me would rather go buy the same fish from Petco for $5 cheaper, and then ask me what to do when velvet starts wiping out their DT. :p One guy wanted to bring me all his sick fish to treat... after he passed up an opportunity to buy from me, but then bought the same fish that infected all of his other fish. I wouldn't budge $5 or $6 on the price, because I was trying not to lose money on what I paid for the fish. $40 Sailfin Tang; he got his for $34 or 35 plus tax. :cool:

Last edited:

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to ask a simple but silly question. Why not rear them and release them into the wild where they would grow better and stronger. Instead of just their tank to supplier to our tank. Thus the limits are keeped and the stock is healthier - then at some point complete tank raise....

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should have been able to see beyond that. When we realized they wouldn't eat prepared all that should have been said was.... "Poop. That sucks" but oh well they are still captive bred and wrth it".The same things that were being said about them are being said about the tangs. "Double or triple the cost for the same fish". They are not he same fish and why I feel we're missing the point..... the very VERY important point.
We should have been able to see beyond that. When we realized they wouldn't eat prepared, all that should have been said was.... "Poop. That sucks, but oh well they are still captive bred and worth it". The same things that were being said about them are being said about the tangs. "Double or triple the cost for the same fish". They are not he same fish and why I feel we're missing the point..... the very VERY important point.

I agree, I did with my target mandarin. But a lot of ppl in this hobby (and life) are driven by the all mighty dollar and when they see a savings they will take it.

But not all the blame should be put on the breeders, your lfs essentially dictates the markup on said fish. If anything lower the markup according to make ppl feel like they are making an effort to better the future for the hobby. Putting a supposed captive bred tang for $150 next to a wild caught one for $49 isn't going to work out well in this economy unfortunately.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pay big money for a captive breed Cooperband butterfly that was already used to living in a captive system. Or a male Leopard wrasse!

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has been pushing me for years now to start some sort of business selling disease-free fish. Why don't I do it? Because I realize bottom line is all that matters to most people. I know myself... I would spend months QT/conditioning a fish (if necessary) before selling it. I already do that before rehoming a sick fish I rescued for experimentation purposes. All I ever ask is the exact same price I paid for the fish before I QT/medicated/conditioned it, and sometimes I have a hard time even getting that. :eek: People around me would rather go buy the same fish from Petco for $5 cheaper, and then ask me what to do when velvet starts wiping out their DT. :p One guy wanted to bring me all his sick fish to treat... after he passed up an opportunity to buy from me, but then bought the same fish that infected all of his other fish. I wouldn't budge $5 or $6 on the price, because I was trying not to lose money on what I paid for the fish. $40 Sailfin Tang; he got his for $34 or 35 plus tax. :cool:

Anytime you want to send some of those 'disease-free fish' to Florida, I am willing pay whatever you are asking!!!! ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime you want to send some of those 'disease-free fish' to Florida, I am willing pay whatever you are asking!!!! ;)

Thank you for that. I'm a little frustrated right now with the "Sailfin Tang guy" so I guess I just needed to vent. :mad:

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't put any of the blame on the breeders. I blame us, the hobbyist.
Yup. Like knockoff equipment, many people will steer towards the cheap option and not think of the impacts.

I must apologize that this thread has gotten so passionate. I was actually posting it because I thought it was hilarious that they had that on the tank and that people were actually so oblivious that they would buy them.

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to ask a simple but silly question. Why not rear them and release them into the wild where they would grow better and stronger. Instead of just their tank to supplier to our tank. Thus the limits are keeped and the stock is healthier - then at some point complete tank raise....

There are a lot of environmental issues with this:
-being tank raised their immune systems are not the same, so they can get diseases wild fish can't and could give wild fish diseases they aren't susceptible too
-how many is the right amount to release?
-ecological issues

Mainly there are a lot of risks that need to be worked out, it will take years before they are able to get approval to do this, and even then there have been many cases of natural introduction not being successful. So mainly it is best to just get rid of any removal let the wild stocks recover and have hobbyists use captive bred specimens only.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of environmental issues with this:
-being tank raised their immune systems are not the same, so they can get diseases wild fish can't and could give wild fish diseases they aren't susceptible too
-how many is the right amount to release?
-ecological issues

Mainly there are a lot of risks that need to be worked out, it will take years before they are able to get approval to do this, and even then there have been many cases of natural introduction not being successful. So mainly it is best to just get rid of any removal let the wild stocks recover and have hobbyists use captive bred specimens only.
Tank raised fish are used to captive diet and are under less stress that wild caught fish. If you have kept fish for 52 years like me I remember wild caught freshwater fish they got sick a lot with ick and velvet like marine wild caught fish today. I have and will pay and support breeding of marine fish it is the future of the hobby.

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My lfs got three. Two are for sale. I did not ask price. They are keeping one. They all have hlle.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that stinks, but give it time. Clownfish breeding in the beginning had these issues as well. Now they talk about using them as feeder fish since it's a fairly easy process now

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back