LFS Water

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it’s an obvious question, but is it normal to get this nitrate reading from your LFS?

I recently had a high nitrate spike which I’m 95% sure is from over feeding, but I tested the water I recently bought (but had not used).

On one hand, I know zero nitrates isn’t ideal, but should prepared saltwater have any reading before it touches my tank? I also noticed a lot of brown gunk (no idea what it was) at the bottom of the container.

4294606A-6036-4312-95C8-AD9B955FDE41.jpeg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's not normal... Are they selling water they've taken from their system/tanks? Looks like they sold you their old water change water from last week, LOL. yikes!

Using this water will definitely lead to higher nitrates, and if this has been going on for a while, is probably the reason for the nitrate spike you experienced.

Its definitely worth a call to the LFS to discuss.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, your new saltwater should not have any nitrates. Its almost like they sold you water pulled from their tanks.

I would defiantly get the water replaced with freshly mixed saltwater. Also, work towards purchasing a RODI unit to start mixing your own water.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought!! My nitrates have been in the 15-20ppm for a while now.. which some will say is fine, but I couldn’t figure out why. I never thought to test the water I was buying.

Worst part, this is my go to LFS & 5 mins from my house. Is typically well maintained & I’ve had good results from the fish I’ve bought there.

BTW, by spike I mean in the 80-160 ppm.

Last edited:

firmefatboy799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got screwed by my lfs luckily I checked, I got 5 gallons of rodi and stuck my tds meter in and was showing 117 ppm I was like wtfudge maybe they gave me salt, check salinity and nothing, then to make sure my tds meter was good grabbed a glass of tap water and was right around 200ppm so yes as stated above just buy an rodi maker, I have one in my garage I just need to stop being lazy

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree with what's been said already "fresh saltwater" shouldn't have any nitrates at all. So they are either selling you water that's been in their tanks (which means you also now have whatever other biological items that they have in their tanks -- at no extra cost!) or they are really sloppy with things.

Honestly, this is a great example of why a lot of folks make their own RODI and saltwater. You have complete control over the process for what is the largest component of your tank.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you should not have any nitrate in your 'new' saltwater. I would say that maybe they are stretching their RODI filters to maximize cost or not pre purging the beginning of making water....
Brown gunk is just sediment build up from the salt your LFS uses. You can rinse it out before you get your next load of water or put some citric acid in to rinse if it does not come out very well, either way no worries.
Just buy the RODI from the LFS and mix it yourself....Still could have the nitrate issue if they are not keeping up with maintenance.
I would start working towards your own RODI system. You will only have yourself to blame for water quality then...I have had my LFS mix salt rather low sometimes (thinking it might have been a new batch and not mixed enough before I got it).
I start making my own water next week myself...a year of buying water...Going from $1.00/gal to $0.42/gal..Ok that is not counting the replacement of filters but it is still putting me in control of my water.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note what is the consensus top choice / reef salt brand?

There's no real "best." Everyone uses about every salt mix with varying levels of success. BRS pushes one of the most expensive pharmaceutical brands, Tropic Marin, in their videos and their tanks look great. On the other hand, Jason Fox uses plain old Instant Ocean and his stuff looks pretty good too.

The best salt is the one that fits your budget and/or mixes to the parameters you want.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Them is words for a shoot out...many have their favorite. BRStv does some campairson videos. I myself use Red sea pro. Why, cause that is what the LFS uses and my tank has been doing well..I don't see the need to change.
If you do change salt, remember, don't change it all at once. Make small water changes so your tank acclimates to the new salt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No and have read if many LFS having bad water
I would test it when you get it and call them out on it
Check TDS, ph and nitrates

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a DI cartridge fills up, one of the first things to start being released is ammonia. 1ppm ammonia roughly translates to 3.5 ppm nitrate. (or significantly higher on a nitrate kit if its not fully converted. Nitrate tests have issues with reading really high when nitrite is in the water).

LFS make a ton of water - and probably exhaust DI very quickly. I'd bet yours isn't being as aggressive as they need to be changing theirs.

Buy an RODI unit. Seriously. Its about the best value piece of equipment you can buy for a reef tank.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, the walmarts near me all sell RO water for .39/gallon. Fill up your own containers. It is RO water, and not RO/DI, but I routinely check it and it always measures between 5-10 TDS with my checker.

I would probably trust that water before I trusted water from a LFS that isn't changing cartridges/resin regularly.
I've bought water from a few LFS's around me and the water has never been as good as the Walmart water machine, and most often, it is clearly worse. (measures higher TDS, particulates/floaters, etc..) The LFS charge at least DOUBLE the price of walmart also, so using the walmart water would be a no brainer before I used LFS water around here.

RO/DI system at home is best option.
Water from Walmart water machine is next best option.
LFS water would be my last resort. Unless your LFS's are better than mine. (they probably are!)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO Buddie works great for small amounts.

I just got screwed by my lfs luckily I checked, I got 5 gallons of rodi and stuck my tds meter in and was showing 117 ppm I was like wtfudge maybe they gave me salt, check salinity and nothing, then to make sure my tds meter was good grabbed a glass of tap water and was right around 200ppm so yes as stated above just buy an rodi maker, I have one in my garage I just need to stop being lazy

I would bet my bottom dollar there was just leftover salt residue in the reservoir used.

firmefatboy799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO Buddie works great for small amounts.

I would bet my bottom dollar there was just leftover salt residue in the reservoir used.
I don't doubt it honestly but didn't wanna risk it, my lfs had a bunch of stuff torn down as a water main broke and they had the water supply sitting in a barrel so I have a feeling you are correct

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just about any salt mix made by one of the major companies will support a really great reef aquarium. I have checked on people who post about their knock your eyes out systems and they use all sorts of different mixes. It has led me to conclude that it isn’t the mix, it is the reefer and their husbandry that makes the aquarium.

Bulk Reef Supply has some excellent videos comparing most of the popularly available reef aquarium salt mixes. The cheapest mix out there is good old instant ocean and it can get the job done. Red Sea is another good popular mix. And there are many others.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back