Life always finds a way

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been in the hobby for 20 years and i still get surprised regularly by the animals we keep. My 265g had been running for over 12 years now and this particular pagoda cup coral has been dead for atleast 4 years. Complete skeleton, covered in coraline, then covered by a hollywood stunner and now getting over grown by an acro and some zoas, but today after years of hibernation/death this pagoda has sprung a new polyp. Corals are incredible.

p.s. Ignore the bubble algae and aiptasia lol
20210429_114115.jpg
20210429_131652.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics a little blue to see clearly
I do see zoas in top pic

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tongue and plate coral notorious for amazing comebacks

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tongue and plate coral notorious for amazing comebacks
Im curious as to hows its even possible, this guy has has no flesh or polyps for years. Do they stay alive dormant in their skeleton, do they leave behind the building blocks for new life after death? Its truely amazing how nature manages to pull through.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im curious as to hows its even possible, this guy has has no flesh or polyps for years. Do they stay alive dormant in their skeleton, do they leave behind the building blocks for new life after death? Its truely amazing how nature manages to pull through.
Dead coral generally have cells within the core of skeleton. The factor is how it died in the first place and when certain traces are restored and sufficient nutrients are present, there is an opportunity for cells to restore and produce zooxanthelle for tissue/polyp support

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard countless examples of this where a dead coral isn't thrown out, just thrown out of the way in the back corner somewhere and it grows back. I started doing this myself and sure enough.. very resilient animals. Even SPS for that matter which is even stranger because it doesn't have the strong lights or flow.

I'm looking at 2 dead sps frags that started getting polyps again so I moved them back to the frag rack. It seem to grow from the tip of the dead skeleton and now starting to move further down coloring up. Here's a frag. Notice the coralline algae that the tissue is starting to grow over. I think this is a BC Rainbows in Spain frag if I remember correctly. Died 6 months ago. And the zoas on the base were random ones from the coral graveyard. Now I make a habit of keeping an eye out for life in that pile before I eventually throw it out.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was pleasantly surprised to see it today. Now im wondering how many dead corals i should just kept and thrown somewhere out of sight haha
I try to keep skeleton around as long as possible. I had a monti frag die off to about 8 polyps and it made a comeback. I also have a orange monti in decline that I'm fragging currently and placing in different parts of the tank to see if there is hope.

Then there is the single green striped mushroom that popped out of my live rock after a complete heat wave meltdown. Those are more invasive than aiptasia in my tank now.

Totroc3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had it happen to a Monti frag. It fell behind some rock and died. I found it a little over a year later and it was a bone white skeleton. I used it as a wedge for a piece of rock. Over a couple of months I noticed the white had turned a pale green so I moved it to a well lit spot and sure enough it grew back completely. I would never have believed it possible if I hadn’t witnessed it. It gives me hope for coral reefs around the world.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a blasto frag long dead. Cleaned out the old tank and saw it in the sludge with a hint of color. Said what the heck and put it in the new set up and wow, it looks better than ever. 5 heads now. 4 all came back and added a 5th

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Billldg let's see that plate, how long "dead" ?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s amazing! Congrats man! I’ve had a few corals recover from almost dying but not coming back from what looked like fully dead. SPS in particular.

Serg1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been in the hobby for 20 years and i still get surprised regularly by the animals we keep. My 265g had been running for over 12 years now and this particular pagoda cup coral has been dead for atleast 4 years. Complete skeleton, covered in coraline, then covered by a hollywood stunner and now getting over grown by an acro and some zoas, but today after years of hibernation/death this pagoda has sprung a new polyp. Corals are incredible.

p.s. Ignore the bubble algae and aiptasia lol
20210429_114115.jpg
20210429_131652.jpg
It truly is amazing good luck

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know.... ive been recently washing my hair with IO Reef Crystal's and my hair is growing back!

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy was covered in hair algae and I almost threw out this small frag. It survived a tank transfer fail and numerous times I bottomed out nutrients. It grew one polyp and now it’s on its way to making a comeback
4609479E-B081-4FF3-AD38-3C23B0DF444F.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back