Life expectancy of a clownfish?

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the comment that 10 gallons is too small for a pair of clown fish.
My thoughts: it entirely depends on the species of clownfish. Larger clowns need larger tanks.
My tomato clown pair occupied a 40 gallon tank and still terrorized their neighbors.
My ocellaris clown pair lived, and repeatedly spawned, for years in a 10 gallon tank (which they had to themselves)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang… the life expectancy of these fish are long, wonder if 20+ years down the line I’ll have swapped some of my fish out, hmmm..

Kennji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older the pair the better, buy from breeders with long lived lines. That is probably the only way to ensure long lived and high quality fish with good genetics. That or some young wild caught clowns to bring back some genetic diversity into the gene pool. I would stay far away from the newer clown fish morphs UNLESS they were outcrossed with a long lived line or wild blood. I wouldn’t support or condone their breeding practices if they aren’t aiming for long lived and healthy specimens.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back