Life expectancy of a clownfish?

HelloLela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Ive had a pair of clownfish for about 6 or 7 years. They are the only thing left in my 29gal tank, so I want to downgrade to a 10gal for them. Im wondering if its worth the trouble, if they may not last too much longer. Anyone have experience with long-lasting clownfish? They seem to be healthy, but im worried putting them through the stress of moving might just kill them when its said and done.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Ive had a pair of clownfish for about 6 or 7 years. They are the only thing left in my 29gal tank, so I want to downgrade to a 10gal for them. Im wondering if its worth the trouble, if they may not last too much longer. Anyone have experience with long-lasting clownfish? They seem to be healthy, but im worried putting them through the stress of moving might just kill them when its said and done.

They can live 20yrs if well cared for. Paul’s I think is 30ish years. The oldest perc I know of was 41.

OP
OP
H

HelloLela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g is too small for clowns
They never really leave their "home" (a rock with some hidey holes) so I figured they wouldn't mind. Its a half moon 10gal so its more vertical.... but the 29gal used to have lots more life in there, and they never seemed to have an issue with space...

OP
OP
H

HelloLela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ocellaris is 16...hopeful for many more years. Although the older it gets the more pugnacious with the attacks on my hands lol.
Haha! I havent messed with their space in a few years... as i recall, they werent too thrilled about it, although thankfully they were attacking the rocks in my hands and not my hands!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! I havent messed with their space in a few years... as i recall, they werent too thrilled about it, although thankfully they were attacking the rocks in my hands and not my hands!
Lol. Mine has laser sights for me soon as I put the scraper in the water. A serious character...

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 7. He's been through a lot. 4 tanks.
I read a story about a guy who's is 18. He orders food but only small one's because he's thinking each one might be his last. He's been doing that for ten years!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can live 20yrs if well cared for. Paul’s I think is 30ish years. The oldest perc I know of was 41.

I was in FL about 10 years and managed to see the ORIGINAL clownfish that ORA started all its breeding programs with.
At the time, the fish was 21 years old.
They can live a long time.

Livingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish is 20 or 21 years old. As best I can remember, I bought a pair in 2002. They were not too big, so maybe they were 1 year old at the time. One past about 2 years ago (19 y.o.) and the other is still living happily. As she's aged, she has become more adept at "begging" for food. It is quite entertaining! When I am near the tank, she will swim down to stare at the food container sitting by the ledge, then swim up to the top of the water, bobbing up-and-down awaiting flakes. Both clowns have only known a 10 gallon tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back