Lifegard AIO

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 10 gallon Lifegard AIO a while back for a coral qt. It seems to work fine for my purposes.

One thing that has puzzled me though is that the baffles in the back all have triangle cutouts at the bottom so the water xan basically flow through the entire bottom of the back section.

That isn’t normal for an AIO is it? I would think the baffles should be set up more like a sump with the first baffle allow water flowing underneath and the second baffle going all the way to the bottom so the water has to flow over the top.

Anyone have any input? I’ve thought about using some acrylic or glass to cover the triangular cutout on the appropriate baffles to force flow up and over the second baffle.

Any input or suggestions welcome. Thank you!

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up these before and they are designed to work the way you describe. I have an image attached showing the flow pattern. The first baffle is there just to hold media and the second baffle sets the water height so you can add a skimmer or macroalgae.

There are at least 8 different Lifegard AIOs so I could have your model wrong but I think yours should look like the one in the picture.

Attachments

• Lifegard Filter.jpg
    Lifegard Filter.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up these before and they are designed to work the way you describe. I have an image attached showing the flow pattern. The first baffle is there just to hold media and the second baffle sets the water height so you can add a skimmer or macroalgae.

There are at least 8 different Lifegard AIOs so I could have your model wrong but I think yours should look like the one in the picture.
Yeah, it should work like what the picture you posted show but what I have is triangle cut outs at the bottom of each baffle so the water can just flow all the way across the bottom instead of being directed up and iver the second baffle. It makes no sense to me why they would do that.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited you photo to kind of show what I mean. The yellow triangle is part of that second baffle, cut out at the bottom of that baffle. I actually have 4 chambers. First chamber overflow from tank, second chamber with a sponge filter, third chamber that has a heater and fourth chamber for the return pump. Every baffle between chambers has that triangle cut out at the bottom.
I’m pretty sure I am going to close off at least the baffle between the second and third chamber to force water up through the filter and into the third over the top of the baffle.

Attachments

• DEFA9790-4AD9-4359-9271-4807BE10A60A.png
    DEFA9790-4AD9-4359-9271-4807BE10A60A.png
    268.7 KB · Views: 115

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the tank you have. Is this correct?

This one has one extra chamber. There still should be one baffle without a bottom exit but there is a bottom exit between the return chamber and 3rd chamber. this is to direct the water through the bubble trap sponge and eliminate bubbles.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the tank you have. Is this correct?

This one has one extra chamber. There still should be one baffle without a bottom exit but there is a bottom exit between the return chamber and 3rd chamber. this is to direct the water through the bubble trap sponge and eliminate bubbles.
That is correct. There is a bottom exit on each baffle on mine, not just the baffle between return and 3rd chamber.

Wonder if this was a mistake during manufacturing. Not that big of a deal honestly, I was just trying to figure out why it was this way.

I appreciate the help. I think I am going to close of the bottom of the baffle between the second and third chambers.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have checked the ones in our warehouse and there is no bottom cut on the second baffle. I don't know if it was a mistake or a rolling change Lifegard made.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have checked the ones in our warehouse and there is no bottom cut on the second baffle. I don't know if it was a mistake or a rolling change Lifegard made.
Very interesting.

Again, I really appreciate the information and help!

wes72971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can piggyback on that, despite my water level being at the top of the drains it never seems to have enough water in the filtration and pump is always running dry; any suggestions? I clean the slots daily…

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the 24 gallon version of that, and yeah the baffle set up seems a bit weird to me as well. That said, If yours is like mine, there should be a half baffle in the middle that prevents the water from just flowing directly through the bottom.

Also here’s this video I found when I first got my tank if you haven’t seen it already

JPG Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 10 gallon Lifegard AIO a while back for a coral qt. It seems to work fine for my purposes.

One thing that has puzzled me though is that the baffles in the back all have triangle cutouts at the bottom so the water xan basically flow through the entire bottom of the back section.

That isn’t normal for an AIO is it? I would think the baffles should be set up more like a sump with the first baffle allow water flowing underneath and the second baffle going all the way to the bottom so the water has to flow over the top.

Anyone have any input? I’ve thought about using some acrylic or glass to cover the triangular cutout on the appropriate baffles to force flow up and over the second baffle.

Any input or suggestions welcome. Thank you!
I have the same tank, mine has only two triangle cutouts, see picture. Where it goes over that middle baffle, there should not be a hole at the bottom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115_204355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_204355_Chrome.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, mine has only two triangle cutouts, see picture. Where it goes over that middle baffle, there should not be a hole at the bottom.
Thanks for the reply.

I am getting older so maybe I am not remembering correctly but I think mine does have the triangle cutout in the middle baffle where yours does not, which kind of confirms what I was thinking, that is should not be there.

Next time I empty this out I am going to look to see if my old age has gotten the better of me! If not, I am going to add something to close up that hole.

JPG Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

I am getting older so maybe I am not remembering correctly but I think mine does have the triangle cutout in the middle baffle where yours does not, which kind of confirms what I was thinking, that is should not be there.

Next time I empty this out I am going to look to see if my old age has gotten the better of me! If not, I am going to add something to close up that hole.
Maybe you could put a piece of (fine)sponge in front of the incoming side, and cause the flow to go up and over...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back