Lifeguard 25W UV flow

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gobi-Wan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gobi-Wan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 4, 2018
Messages
435
Reaction score
345
Location
St. Louis area, Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. My cheap Jebao uv sterilizer sprung a leak and I decided it's time to go with a real one. At least a cheap real one. I got the Lifeguard ProMax 25w sterilizer for my 125 reef with 40 sump. By my calculations there's about 130 gallons of actual water in the system. I was planning to use the "550gph" pump that i was using with the old sterilizer so I took it apart, cleaned it up and tested the flow and it produced... 300gph. I know this is on the low side for that sterilizer as I think 400 has been recommended. Is it safe to run the UV at 300gph and will it be effective at that flow rate? Is it safe to run it like that for a while until I can afford another purchase? I have kind of used up my reef budget for the moment.
 
Awesome thank you guys. I know more exposure time is better for larger organisms like parasites but I didn’t know if it would have a high enough turnover rate to keep up with reproduction rates of algae and bacteria
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new