LifeReef Overflow Flow Rate Question

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR: How much flow can a life-reef single chamber overflow handle? Is it possible to maybe source a wider uTube for the thing to increase that flow?
And I saw 'return jTubes' listed on their site, but I assume that's just to get the pump water into the display and not something the overflow needs, correct?

This is probably a really dumb question, but I assume the 600gph model overflow from lifereef is a hard-limit for the flow rate? I feel like I've heard people saying it can handle more flow, but I'm curious what kind of turnover you guys are running through your systems if you have them personally.

I ask because I got a 75 gal tank (I'm picking it up tomorrow) and there's a chance it might be tempered (which I'll check at the store incase they have a non-tempered one I can swap it for as I prefer drilling). If that's the case I'll obviously need some way to drain the thing into my sump and lifereef seems to be the most reliable by far. Catch is I kind of like using oversized return pumps where the flow would be over 600gph and there's a pretty aggressive price (and size) jump between the single chamber and double chamber overflow box.

If I do end up ordering an overflow from lifereef, I'd like to not do something stupid like run too much water through it and flood things. I also don't want to buy an op pump only to have to restrict flow aggressively (again - a cost thing). I think if it comes down to it I'd rather just get a smaller pump and add some more power heads into the top/bottom tank (because I have a LOT of random powerheads lying around. It's a bit insane really...

Curious what your thoughts are.
Thanks!

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a cut and dry answer. He custom sizes the u-tubes and the overflow to match your return pump rates and other quirks to your setup. So you need to pick your desired flow rate and pump, then you work with him to get it all sized together.

OP
OP
GrumpyAlison

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a cut and dry answer. He custom sizes the u-tubes and the overflow to match your return pump rates and other quirks to your setup. So you need to pick your desired flow rate and pump, then you work with him to get it all sized together.
Fascinating. Thanks! In that case I'll reach out to him if I need to get a HOB with some more specs.
Do you have any idea how long it normally takes for the HOBs to ship once ordered?

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a long time since I’ve ordered there myself, and lead times can be all over the place depending on how busy it is. Particularly in the spring when people start getting hobbies out of the basement. And it also depends on how custom it has to be.

These days it seems any hobby has excessive lead times.

Mjsmallz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend has a single outlet life reef on his 125. Has been running it for several years without any issues and its just the stock set-up offered on the website.

OP
OP
GrumpyAlison

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a long time since I’ve ordered there myself, and lead times can be all over the place depending on how busy it is. Particularly in the spring when people start getting hobbies out of the basement. And it also depends on how custom it has to be.

These days it seems any hobby has excessive lead times.
That's fair. As someone who freelances assorted hand-made products I feel that really hard tbh :p Thanks for the thoughts!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a LifeReef Sump CLF 2
30" X 13-1/4" X 14-1/2" Tall with a Danner #12 Pump. The amount of flow it can handle is just crazy. The noise of my Syphon was the problem and I ended up pulling the Danner #7 out and using the #12 to run my media chambers via a bypass. Also I put Breather pipes at my sump, where the water comes from the tank.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Grumpy, I'm running the LifeReef single Over-Flow box U-tube return now for about 6 years on my 90 gallon DT (Never had an issue). Recently I bought the LifeReef CLF2 Sump 30”x14”x14”. I'm running an EHIEM 1262 return pump rated about 900 GPM and have it gated quite a bit. I believe the single LifeReef Over-Flow box is rated for around 600 GPM. My experience is that the 600 GPM may be a bit high, although I've never measured it. I have the LifeReef 24 Skimmer and love all my LifeReef products.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back