Light acclimating LPS - safe PAR level?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very unsure on light intensity.
I'm a bit scared of giving to much light, especially new corals.
I'm thinking I might have my lights a bit on the low side, and to make sure I'll pick up a PAR meter monday.
Is there a 'safe' level I should I'm for?
I'm mostly concerned about euphyllia, and have my torches a bit higher than my hammers.
What would be a good PAR level for the torches to make sure they have sufficient but not to much light?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which lights and setting/schedule? I usually just start mine on the substrate and move them up after a week or so.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which lights and setting/schedule? I usually just start mine on the substrate and move them up after a week or so.
Seems like a common approach. I just don't even know if the light at the bottom is considered low. Some are placed at the very bottom and they might get very low light.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not keeping them there forever. There's plenty of cloud covered weeks in nature.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not keeping them there forever. There's plenty of cloud covered weeks in nature.
Maybe. Just like to know if say a par of 100 would be low, 150 still safe, 200 might be to high etc. A safe starting point is what I'm looking for. What is a good and safe PAR level at substrate?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anything but sps 100 is just fine starting out if not for the duration.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 is perfect for substrate, and a starting point. the coral will let you know if it’s happy or not..torches generally prefer to be on the bottom but I have a hammer that thrives at 200ish. Are they new lights or new frags? I’d just try and match where they came from if they’re new frags.

Back