Light acclimation for corals

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
I have a frag tank set up and I am about to move corals to it. I have a kessel A360w on the frag tank. I have radions on the display tank. What I am wondering is how should I acclimate the corals as the light will prob be stronger. Should I start low intensity and over a few weeks increase it? Also if I get a new coral and put it in my frag tank would I have to do the acclimation process all over again? Thanks for the help I just do t want to loose my corals.

Georb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I have done it for my past 4 frags is start at the bottom of your tank, for a week and then move the frag up slowly to where it's final home will be. I have only turned down my lights about 15%% for the first week.

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The issue I'm worried about is it's a powerful light and a shallow tank in the frag tank.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I just got a frag where they had like 6-8 T5s probably 4 feet away. Then moving it to my tank of 1.5 feet below a Hydra 26HD planning to move it to 1 foot (the light isn't at max). Sometimes I wonder the same thing.. main thing I do is look at the coral every day to make sure it isn't starting to bleach because I'm paranoid. I set it on the sand bed as a test first. Then just wait lol

Georb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hydra 26hd is 13 inches off surface and the sand bed is 20 inches from surface. I have caves as well for a shadow to help

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hydra 26hd is 13 inches off surface and the sand bed is 20 inches from surface. I have caves as well for a shadow to help

Just estimated numbers here. I set it by looks first, intensity second.

Georb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries I was just giving a description of how I am setup as a baseline

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back