[Light discussion] AI Prime HD v. ??????

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new build: probably a 30.2 waterbox with a 24L/18H/18W.

I'm thinking of getting two AI Prime HDs. This comes to about $450, so that's my light budget. Is there any higher-end light (Radion, etc) that could light the tank as well or better than the two primes w/in the $450 lighting budget?

Even just giving me a place to begin researching would be great, thanks reefers!

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the options I would personally consider. AI's are great lights as well. Either way I don't think you could go wrong.
Lightly Used Radion G4 XR15 Pro
New Radion G5 XR15
ATI T5 Fixture

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a single AI hydra 32. Same leds, costs less.

Oh great looking out, thank you!! I've gone through the first page of google results and can't find a number published regarding the spread. Should it light the corners of a 24" tank effectively?

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an owner of two AI Prime Reef lights over my waterbox i'd say stay away if you're wanting to grow any SPS. These lights have an abysmal spread in terms of par...like F- grade. These are lights you put on a desktop nano aquarium, nothing more. After renting a BRS par meter I was shocked at the readings from my AI prime tank..

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an owner of two AI Prime Reef lights over my waterbox i'd say stay away if you're wanting to grow any SPS. These lights have an abysmal spread in terms of par...like F- grade. These are lights you put on a desktop nano aquarium, nothing more. After renting a BRS par meter I was shocked at the readings from my AI prime tank..

Oh shoot that's shocking. I've always been told that Prime's were made for larger nano reefs. Thank you for that!

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they do include it now. They are really working out fantastic so far, I use them like a 250w radium MH to great effect and the app is great , I am full bore since october and my colors / growth , are waaaaay outa control

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta turn em way down , alot of people are not realizing the light output is 87% pur so even a par meter aint no good , they are serious equipment. BRS has a great video on em with testing ect . They are super even blanket like , you still get shadowing as you would from any single point , but you could always use 2 50s to really get sick blanketness.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back