Light fixture suspension failsafe

  • Thread starter Thread starter jhuntstl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2021
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
4,091
Location
St. Louis
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really much of a DIY, but I wasn't sure where else to post such a question.

I recently picked up a CoralCare Gen2. I'm using the included suspension kit. It's a high quality hanging kit as far as I can tell. There's no reason to doubt it's ability to hang my light. My bigger concern is my clumsiness anytime I need to raise or lower it.

In the pics you can see a 1/16" braided wire in the center. This is the main, adjustable support wire attached to the ceiling. I've yet to cut it to length, but plan to leave 3-4" of extra length.

I'd like to add something to the bottom of that main support wire as a fail safe in case I ever slip up handling the fixture. A stop of sorts. If I lost my grip, it would stop this heavy fixture from crashing down on top of my tank. Make sense? I've been googling and amazoning, but I haven't hit the right search query.

I could probably just tie a knot, but there's gotta be something out there for the application. Something easily removed without cutting the wire.

Thanks for looking!

PXL_20210916_230213655.MP.jpg

PXL_20210916_225134205.MP.jpg

PXL_20210916_230222740.MP.jpg

PXL_20210916_230222740.MP.jpg
 
Not really sure about something removable, but how about a ferrule that has to be crimped on the very end (possibly double up two ferrules just to be safe)?
 
Not really sure about something removable, but how about a ferrule that has to be crimped on the very end (possibly double up two ferrules just to be safe)?
A more engineered, easily removable solution would be nice. A simple crimp is removable without cutting. Maybe not conveniently, but it's doable.

I had considered this, but immediately ruled it out as being permanent. But cmon now it's not thaaat difficult with a pair of pliers.

I do appreciate the suggestion.
 
I had considered this, but immediately ruled it out as being permanent. But cmon now it's not thaaat difficult with a pair of pliers.

Lol...to a mechanic...no, but I did not want to assume that removing aluminum ferrules was going to be easy for everyone. :p

I'll be continuing to watch, I am interested as to what ideas others may have. I have a similar cable set up for the Orphek lights. I just wound up the tag end of the cable in a loop and ziptide it in place. Just in case I want to change the setup. :)
 
Lol...to a mechanic...no, but I did not want to assume that removing aluminum ferrules was going to be easy for everyone. :p

I'll be continuing to watch, I am interested as to what ideas others may have. I have a similar cable set up for the Orphek lights. I just wound up the tag end of the cable in a loop and ziptide it in place. Just in case I want to change the setup. :)
I'm a carpenter. I'm not scared of a little ferrule. :p It's like 8 bucks for a box of 200. I'm probably going to settle for the ferrule, but is it really settling? I really don't see myself having to remove it more than maybe a couple times a year. It's the most minimalist, least eye catching option.

I did find some other options, mostly from the automotive or aviation sector. I'm sure these could handle the weight of a CoralCare. But eh.

I think ferrules are the way to go.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/products/product/6515/
da49fffff53db258e947c4d38372b0c7.jpg


Amazon product ASIN B000CO8ZPG
81Hc-BLACAL._AC_SL1412_.jpg

And.... http://mail.cablegrippers.com/products-looping-grippers.html

MGR%201-16%20LP%20b.jpg
step.jpg
 
Those cable stops look pretty promising. At least over the ferrules...imho.

I really don't see myself having to remove it more than maybe a couple times a year.

Maybe longer, once it is all setup. :D
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new