Light fixture suspension failsafe

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really much of a DIY, but I wasn't sure where else to post such a question.

I recently picked up a CoralCare Gen2. I'm using the included suspension kit. It's a high quality hanging kit as far as I can tell. There's no reason to doubt it's ability to hang my light. My bigger concern is my clumsiness anytime I need to raise or lower it.

In the pics you can see a 1/16" braided wire in the center. This is the main, adjustable support wire attached to the ceiling. I've yet to cut it to length, but plan to leave 3-4" of extra length.

I'd like to add something to the bottom of that main support wire as a fail safe in case I ever slip up handling the fixture. A stop of sorts. If I lost my grip, it would stop this heavy fixture from crashing down on top of my tank. Make sense? I've been googling and amazoning, but I haven't hit the right search query.

I could probably just tie a knot, but there's gotta be something out there for the application. Something easily removed without cutting the wire.

Thanks for looking!

PXL_20210916_230213655.MP.jpg

PXL_20210916_225134205.MP.jpg

PXL_20210916_230222740.MP.jpg

PXL_20210916_230222740.MP.jpg

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure about something removable, but how about a ferrule that has to be crimped on the very end (possibly double up two ferrules just to be safe)?

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure about something removable, but how about a ferrule that has to be crimped on the very end (possibly double up two ferrules just to be safe)?
A more engineered, easily removable solution would be nice. A simple crimp is removable without cutting. Maybe not conveniently, but it's doable.

I had considered this, but immediately ruled it out as being permanent. But cmon now it's not thaaat difficult with a pair of pliers.

I do appreciate the suggestion.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered this, but immediately ruled it out as being permanent. But cmon now it's not thaaat difficult with a pair of pliers.

Lol...to a mechanic...no, but I did not want to assume that removing aluminum ferrules was going to be easy for everyone. :p

I'll be continuing to watch, I am interested as to what ideas others may have. I have a similar cable set up for the Orphek lights. I just wound up the tag end of the cable in a loop and ziptide it in place. Just in case I want to change the setup. :)

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...to a mechanic...no, but I did not want to assume that removing aluminum ferrules was going to be easy for everyone. :p

I'll be continuing to watch, I am interested as to what ideas others may have. I have a similar cable set up for the Orphek lights. I just wound up the tag end of the cable in a loop and ziptide it in place. Just in case I want to change the setup. :)
I'm a carpenter. I'm not scared of a little ferrule. :p It's like 8 bucks for a box of 200. I'm probably going to settle for the ferrule, but is it really settling? I really don't see myself having to remove it more than maybe a couple times a year. It's the most minimalist, least eye catching option.

I did find some other options, mostly from the automotive or aviation sector. I'm sure these could handle the weight of a CoralCare. But eh.

I think ferrules are the way to go.

da49fffff53db258e947c4d38372b0c7.jpg

81Hc-BLACAL._AC_SL1412_.jpg

And.... http://mail.cablegrippers.com/products-looping-grippers.html

MGR%201-16%20LP%20b.jpg
step.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back