Light & Flow

Lyngsaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been reading up quite a bit on Coral care, however I'm still left with 1 question (2 really). When people refer to care requirement it usually states something like this: "Medium flow and medium Light". However I am struggling to find info about that that actually means in reality (i.e. medium flow = 20X aquarium volume).

My question is:

Is there a common guideline for what Low/medium/High translate into for both Light and flow?

Bonus question - what is the best way to measure flow in a specific spot in the tank (maybe a DIY option - hobby is expensive already so rather avoid buying more gadgets :) ).

Thank you in advance

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your light question renting a par meter would be your best option and do some research on your coral and see what par the corals do best in. For flow, what size tank do you have? What are your powerheads?

OP
OP
Lyngsaa

Lyngsaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. My question was more how to translate Low/medium/High into numbers. Online I found below values for Light & flow:

For light
Low light: 50-100 PAR
Medium light 100-200 PAR
High light >200 PAR

For flow:
Low flow: <10 X water volume
Medium flow 10-20 X Water volume
High flow >20 X water volumes

Are these scales correct or?

Another question is how do you measure flow in a specific spot in the tank? Figuring our the overall flow is easy enough based on the pumps in the tank, but how to measure flow in a specific location I do not know how to do.

I fully get the point to research the specific corals need (par/flow) the scale is just helpful to dial in on the options available for the spot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back