Light height

Glenng78

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2016
Messages
344
Reaction score
68
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a water cube 10 that is cycling now , and I had the idea of mounting a floating shelf 2-3 feet above the tank. I am going to put GFCI outlet with the shelf, and my idea is to hang the light from the shelf with the wires plugged in up top. I think this will be a nice clean look, and I hate wires running up my walls. So my choices for light are down to 3 , which 2 of them I already have. I already have a :
Kessil a360n
Kessil a160
Or I would sell them and buy an AI prime hd or hydra 26 .
My main question is how high above the tank can I get away with mounting the light, and still get decent penetration and minimal spill outside the tank. Btw the tank is approx 14x14x14
Opinions ? Suggestion ?
 
i have a water cube 10 that is cycling now , and I had the idea of mounting a floating shelf 2-3 feet above the tank. I am going to put GFCI outlet with the shelf, and my idea is to hang the light from the shelf with the wires plugged in up top. I think this will be a nice clean look, and I hate wires running up my walls. So my choices for light are down to 3 , which 2 of them I already have. I already have a :
Kessil a360n
Kessil a160
Or I would sell them and buy an AI prime hd or hydra 26 .
My main question is how high above the tank can I get away with mounting the light, and still get decent penetration and minimal spill outside the tank. Btw the tank is approx 14x14x14
Opinions ? Suggestion ?
Use the single a360 since you have it. In that footprint itll grow anything :) and being higher wattage you can mount it higher.
 
Take the 360 and fill a 14x14 square on the floor with the circle of light the lamp projects. That’s the optimum hanging Heith.

Use decorative chain or dark colored rod to mount or hang the light.
You can get Steele anodized black or brass usually at the Home Depot in bench stock or the lamp department. Probaly have some mounting options too as well as some ideas on how to hide or decorate the cables too like cable channels.

In order of power (par) 160 prime 360 hydra. The prime and 360 are probably equally matched with the 360 ahead by a nose with more even coverage on the sand bed. The 360 will most likely easily give you 100 par on the sand.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new