Light recommendations

Noob_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 90 gal tank that will be sps barebottom. I was wondering what lights you guys would reccomend that won't tear a hole in my pocket. Its 48L×18W×24H

15856890028932522436424380958043.jpg

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your buget? I have a similar sized 75g and use 2 AI Hydra 32s but will add a 3rd once the tank grows in more. Love these lights!

OP
OP
Noob_reefer

Noob_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your buget? I have a similar sized 75g and use 2 AI Hydra 32s but will add a 3rd once the tank grows in more. Love these lights!
I don't have a radion budget and I was looking for ideally one fixture if possible. I have a coral life t5 fixture but it's only 2 bulbs I wanted an led option for the main light and shimmer

Sabdali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one fixture you could look into some of the nice black box style lights like reefbreeders photon or something like that. Or even do 2-3 Mars aqua

Lighting a 4ft with just one especially for sps is difficult on a budget tbh. I went with an 8 bulb t5 unit because that was the cheapest option I could find that would work. My tank is 4ft x 2ft x 30 inches tall

OP
OP
Noob_reefer

Noob_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one fixture you could look into some of the nice black box style lights like reefbreeders photon or something like that. Or even do 2-3 Mars aqua

Lighting a 4ft with just one especially for sps is difficult on a budget tbh. I went with an 8 bulb t5 unit because that was the cheapest option I could find that would work. My tank is 4ft x 2ft x 30 inches tall
Are the Mars aqua good lights?

Sabdali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the Mars aqua good lights?
They're not the best. In terms of functionality I've seen many tanks that have grown healthy corals. The issue is sub quality parts leads to shorter lifespan of the lights and unreliability over long periods of time.

Another solid black box light is the ocean revive t247 lights. There's a good amount of literature in the forum and on YouTube covering this light.

I will add that I never used black boxes extensively so this is all second hand advice. I had a viparspectra for about 2 months but it was too big for the aquarium I was running it on so I had crazy light bleed. Worked fine though and coral did grow

OP
OP
Noob_reefer

Noob_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not the best. In terms of functionality I've seen many tanks that have grown healthy corals. The issue is sub quality parts leads to shorter lifespan of the lights and unreliability over long periods of time.

Another solid black box light is the ocean revive t247 lights. There's a good amount of literature in the forum and on YouTube covering this light.

I will add that I never used black boxes extensively so this is all second hand advice. I had a viparspectra for about 2 months but it was too big for the aquarium I was running it on so I had crazy light bleed. Worked fine though and coral did grow
I have the ocean revives currently on my 75 and 40 gal tanks. They grow coral great

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back