Light suggestion for 18 inch cube AIO?

BubbleWrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Spectra Aqua Knight V2 light on my 18inch cube AIO mixed reef. The light is 36 watts at max power. But at max power, the light looks just white!

My setting is 100% blue, 100% royal blue, and 40% white. Still, it looks very much white! I tried reducing the white to as low as 0-10%. In that setting, it looks pretty bluish, but the amount of light looks very low.

My budget is very tight. Any suggestion for a low-budget light upgrade? Or should I just try adding another piece of the same light and run them on high blue - low white setting?

1655694445473.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can borrow a par meter or rent one from an lfs, you might be fine just using that with less white light. I have no clue what the par readings are for that but I can try and find it.

OP
OP
BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can borrow a par meter or rent one from an lfs, you might be fine just using that with less white light. I have no clue what the par readings are for that but I can try and find it.
Okay, I'll try to find a PAR meter. Usually, I kept the white light low. But as soon as I got my red plating Montipora, I wanted to increase the light.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually Aqua Knight V1. I'm using the V2 variant of the same light. Do you think this would be better than V2?

I have not used it in person but remember people saying it was visibly blue. It was very popular over nanos a few years ago.

If you have Amazon.. generally returns are free if you can’t get the look you want.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setting is 100% blue, 100% royal blue, and 40% white. Still, it looks very much white! I tried reducing the white to as low as 0-10%. In that setting, it looks pretty bluish, but the amount of light looks very low.
Dim "looks" at all blue isn't indicative to low power.
2/3rds of your "35W" is blue.
assuming same diode manuf this is probably close to reality.
Whites are blue leds plus phosphors so photon output between white and blue should be fairly equal though different spectrums of course.

@ 14" 100PAR on full would translate to 66 par with white channel off guesstimate... at 14".
They used an older Apogee w/ some error (reads low) in the blue spectrum.

Higher power alternates

More blue..
NOTE:
※WIFI CONTROL TECHNOLOGY※: Wifi controller is not included in the package, please purchase it separately. 4 programmable channels timing, dimming and other functions. One wifi controller just use for one light.

There are probably 1 doz. lights similar to what you have w/ various spectrum "tweaks"

More expensive but 72% blue..

Last edited:
OP
OP
BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dim "looks" at all blue isn't indicative to low power.
2/3rds of your "35W" is blue.
assuming same diode manuf this is probably close to reality.
Whites are blue leds plus phosphors so photon output between white and blue should be fairly equal though different spectrums of course.

@ 14" 100PAR on full would translate to 66 par with white channel off guesstimate... at 14".
They used an older Apogee w/ some error (reads low) in the blue spectrum.

Higher power alternates

More blue..
NOTE:

There are probably 1 doz. lights similar to what you have w/ various spectrum "tweaks"

More expensive but 72% blue..

Thanks, mate. Very useful.

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Spectra Aqua Knight V2 light on my 18inch cube AIO mixed reef. The light is 36 watts at max power. But at max power, the light looks just white!

My budget is very tight. Any suggestion for a low-budget light upgrade? Or should I just try adding another piece of the same light and run them on high blue - low white setting?

1655694445473.png
It’s my first YouTube video. The audio is goofy. But here’s a budget option

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back