Lighted Refugium Photoperiod

Anthony Kochevar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2018
Messages
142
Reaction score
196
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what everyone how long everyone runs the light over their refugium. Is there anything wrong with running it 24/7?
 
It'll vary depended on your setup, but the average is anywhere from 8 to 16 hours. You can run it 24/7 but I don't recommend it. Just like humans I believe plants need a period of darkness to rest. Plus running 24/7 could also inhibit unwanted algae growth if it has constant access to the light.
 
I am in the same camp. I believe some dark period is beneficial.
 
Just wondering what everyone how long everyone runs the light over their refugium. Is there anything wrong with running it 24/7?
Studies have shown that rates of photosynthesis, in regards to marine algae, can be almost twice as high with light/dark cycles as compared to continuous lighting.
So a dark period is advantagous.
Keep in mind, while the algae is photosynthesising its growing, & filtering the water by assimilating inorganic nutrients.
In regards to how long to run your refugiums photo-period for, 9 hours is a minimum, & I would say 20 hours is a maxium (& preferably 10h on, 2h off cycle).
Gage a suitable photo-period by measuring your NO3 level. If its staying a bit higher than you want, run a longer photo-period, & vice versa.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new