Lighted Refugium Photoperiod

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll vary depended on your setup, but the average is anywhere from 8 to 16 hours. You can run it 24/7 but I don't recommend it. Just like humans I believe plants need a period of darkness to rest. Plus running 24/7 could also inhibit unwanted algae growth if it has constant access to the light.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what everyone how long everyone runs the light over their refugium. Is there anything wrong with running it 24/7?
Studies have shown that rates of photosynthesis, in regards to marine algae, can be almost twice as high with light/dark cycles as compared to continuous lighting.
So a dark period is advantagous.
Keep in mind, while the algae is photosynthesising its growing, & filtering the water by assimilating inorganic nutrients.
In regards to how long to run your refugiums photo-period for, 9 hours is a minimum, & I would say 20 hours is a maxium (& preferably 10h on, 2h off cycle).
Gage a suitable photo-period by measuring your NO3 level. If its staying a bit higher than you want, run a longer photo-period, & vice versa.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back