Lighting 4x4 tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you suggest arranging Radion 30w's over a 4x4x2 tank?
Would it be best to do one over each 2x2 section on a sliding track, or could I get away with less?

Drew

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if ur doing sps go with 1 per 2x2

I never understood the coverage claims for Radion XR30s being 2x2 feet. In looking at the physical puck layout of the fixture, how could the dimension with one puck have the same coverage length as the dimension with two pucks? Wouldn’t the coverage length with two pucks side by side have twice the coverage length of the dimension with one puck, for more like a 2x1 foot coverage area?

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood the coverage claims for Radion XR30s being 2x2 feet. In looking at the physical puck layout of the fixture, how could the dimension with one puck have the same coverage length as the dimension with two pucks? Wouldn’t the coverage length with two pucks side by side have twice the coverage length of the dimension with one puck, for more like a 2x1 foot coverage area?

The distance between the 2 pucks is pretty close on a xr30w. You would get slightly more coverage than a xr15. That’s y some choose 2x xr15 over 1 xr30. This way they can adjust the distance between the pucks more evenly with a more even coverage. I believe Ecotech claims that a xr30 coverage can go up 30”. I’ve tried 1 xr30 on 30” n it works but I got a lot of overshadowing. It becomes a problem if ur tank is spa dominant, specially if u have colonies.

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They do claim 18X18 in for the XR-15 with SPS but that's only with high light SPS IME.

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do claim 18X18 in for the XR-15 with SPS but that's only with high light SPS IME.

I guess this further reinforces my point about the XR30. If the XR15 covers 18x18, then the XR30 coverage should be more like 18x24 as opposed to the claimed 24x24 based on the physical puck layout of the fixture.

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this further reinforces my point about the XR30. If the XR15 covers 18x18, then the XR30 coverage should be more like 18x24 as opposed to the claimed 24x24 based on the physical puck layout of the fixture.
I'm sorry but that's not accurate. With my one XR-15 I'm growing SPS happily at the edge of a 2' wide tank about 7-8" from the bottom (20" deep tank) and LPS at the corners on the sand. Softies happy in the shade at the far corners with just reflected light. Its only running at ~60% also.

Edit: also have a LFS growing LPS/Softies/some SPS under XR-15s strung down the middle of 3' wide tanks hung high. Works great. One every 14" or so. They're being conservative with their claims, at least when it comes to gen 4s.

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure you understand my point. Looking at the XR30’s physical puck layout, how can the dimension with one puck provide the same converage length as the dimension with 2 pucks side by side?

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure you understand my point. Looking at the XR30’s physical puck layout, how can the dimension with one puck provide the same converage length as the dimension with 2 pucks side by side?
I believe @Hersheyb already addressed that effectively. You're not gonna see much difference in coverage between the two, just more par and a bit better spread.

adw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this as well. I think everyone is missing the point. If there are 2 pucks NEXT to each other the coverage should be better long than wide so it makes no sense the the coverage would be equal from a length and width stand point.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4x4, I have DIY LED but had 6 AI Sols before arranged 2x3. All depends what you want to keep. The nice thing is very little of your light will escape the tank,so you can efficiently use as little or as much as you want.

Back