Lighting a 125 gallon reef

Luke1935

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I am new to reef2reef. I have been debating for what lighting I should get for my new 125 reef. I was thinking of getting 3 Ocean Revive Arctic T247. Anyone have any experience with this? If so, please tell me your lighting schedule. Thank you!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, First off welcome to R2R and the community.

Now lest see if we can get you some answers:)

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community! I used one of these on my 29g and had success growing softies and LPS, i wouldn't expect it to have the par for most sps though. I ended up switching it for a kessil A160W and am much more happy with the spectrum. Overall i would compare the Arctics to a better black box.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your budget? What do you plan on keeping now and in the future? Any plans to upgrade tank in the future? Do you have an aquarium controller you'll want to connect into or is standalone remote functionality required? Do you have a canopy over the tank or are there any limitations for mounting the lighting?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine Lights. You’ll need two to three.
I don belive they have the par to grow just about anything.

OP
OP
L

Luke1935

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your budget? What do you plan on keeping now and in the future? Any plans to upgrade tank in the future? Do you have an aquarium controller you'll want to connect into or is standalone remote functionality required? Do you have a canopy over the tank or are there any limitations for mounting the lighting?
My budget is $300-$400. I plan on keeping the less demanding sps like montipora, birdsnest etc. I don't think I will upgrade just yet. I have seen the dsuny led. I would like to supplement this with t5's.

Saltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your tank? I have a 6’ 150 and have only 2 ocean revives on mine. My tank has brace in the middle and I thought a third light would be a waste. They are not too bad the tank is covered decent except the middle but I do still have coral growth there. They are not Kessil, EcoTech or Maxspect by any means and they don’t do anything fancy just on and off. I wanted to run 4 Kessils 2 on each side and I still do but it’s hard to come off of 1600.00 plus friend of mine at the LFS talked me into the ocean revives and my wife HATES the shimmer from the Kessils. I caught the ocean revives on sell for 150 each. So if you are on a budget they are fine lights and I know quite a few people who have them. That’s just my opinion.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back