Lighting a 4’ cube after the hurricane

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally I had a DIY LED fixture that I made myself (see pics). When the hurricane hit the ceiling gave in and it fell into the tank and fried. Currently I have two XR 30s and a 24” Aquatic Life fixture. I’m not happy with the Aquatic Life but see the benifits of T5 lighting. My Aquascape is a little different because it’s in the shape of a hollowed out volcano and there’s pieces in all parts of the tank. After getting a PAR meter and seeing just how bad the LED’s spotlight I need to look into other options. I plan on growing SPS wherever possible. I’m not against just adding more Radions. How would you light this? I’ve seen some hybrid fixtures that look great. They’re not really designed for a cube though

Any help is appreciated!

6876F9E3-CE5C-4DBF-9080-C55785080F1D.jpeg

AC562B25-49A4-4405-912B-BB38AB4ED6BE.jpeg

2FBBF9B6-954C-4255-B2DB-2558D2B666B9.jpeg

6CE34019-43E9-4570-A273-A609D3F1DC91.jpeg

83CCDA20-EE4D-4BC8-B603-06461E080BBD.jpeg

109D6C41-A7E0-4546-A52B-2B0C3331ECF4.jpeg

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking at keeping the T5s to even out your spread, you might be interested in checking out the Aquatic life hybrids, I've heard good things about them but have not had my hands on them myself.

Update: https://www.aquaticlife.com/light-f...life-t5ho-hybrid-mounting-system-fixture.html

There’s an Aquatic life on there now. I appreciate the price point but I’m not happy with it at all. Even with that small size it heats up my water. There’s cords coming out of both sides so it looks unsightly. I had to add an extension due to cord length. Some of the ATI LED hybrids are appealing but they would have to be hung high off the tank. Does anyone have experience with this? I know @WWC hangs their lights high, shoots for low par with SPS and runs long cycles (12 hours).

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the diffusers really make that much of a difference? I couldn’t believe how narrow the light was when I used a par meter.
Yes. That’s the point of diffusion.

It’s what makes t5 such an even spread. Large source , and diffused.

A fwiw. In the first pic, those leds are set on the tank incorrectly. Too close.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. That’s the point of diffusion.

It’s what makes t5 such an even spread. Large source , and diffused.

A fwiw. In the first pic, those leds are set on the tank incorrectly. Too close.

Thanks so much!!! And I’ll look into that. It doesn’t come out until next year so I assume @bulkreefsupply will do a video on it.

Good observation, it’s funny you say that. When I posted it years ago I hit criticism for not using enough. Maybe the lenses make a difference? Do you think it’s worth salvaging? I really appreciate your input

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much!!! And I’ll look into that. It doesn’t come out until next year so I assume @bulkreefsupply will do a video on it.

Good observation, it’s funny you say that. When I posted it years ago I hit criticism for not using enough. Maybe the lenses make a difference? Do you think it’s worth salvaging? I really appreciate your input
Take the unit and power it up. Hold it over the floor and look at the pattern it makes.
You can imagine the floor as the top of tank and also the bottom of the tank.

If you have a piece of wax paper or a piece of dirty glass or acrylic, you see what effect diffusion makes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back