Lighting - AI and/or Kessil - 40 Breeder

Dou g

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2022
Messages
62
Reaction score
39
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching online and haven't found any examples, but does anyone use a combination of AI Primes and Kessils?

I have a 40 Breeder tank, currently with 2 AI Prime 16HDs. End goal is to achieve a mixed reef with some sps higher up. I'm currently using the BRS AI Prime recommended settings. Was at 40% for a long time and have been slowly raising to 90% over a couple months. The PAR is still low in places i want to add sps/lps coral because of shadowing and light placement so I purchased a AI blade grow (has not yet arrived) to achieve fill light in those shaded areas and maybe also lower the prime intensity a bit so I'm not melting the lenses (as fast).

I was super fortunate enough to be selected to receive a Kessil a360xe tuna blue via the BRS preferred reefer giveaway (Thanks BRS team!). So now I'm wondering if I should work it into the configuration and mount the Kessil between the primes? Add blade too? I have not yet found a post or video with someone with this setup. It's always AI prime or Kessil. Is that because the look of the lights mixing together creates an unappealing look in the tank or brand ecosystem compatibility or perhaps just better options per dollar?

Appreciate any feedback and suggestions.
 
1732550871888.gif
 
I've been searching online and haven't found any examples, but does anyone use a combination of AI Primes and Kessils?

I have a 40 Breeder tank, currently with 2 AI Prime 16HDs. End goal is to achieve a mixed reef with some sps higher up. I'm currently using the BRS AI Prime recommended settings. Was at 40% for a long time and have been slowly raising to 90% over a couple months. The PAR is still low in places i want to add sps/lps coral because of shadowing and light placement so I purchased a AI blade grow (has not yet arrived) to achieve fill light in those shaded areas and maybe also lower the prime intensity a bit so I'm not melting the lenses (as fast).

I was super fortunate enough to be selected to receive a Kessil a360xe tuna blue via the BRS preferred reefer giveaway (Thanks BRS team!). So now I'm wondering if I should work it into the configuration and mount the Kessil between the primes? Add blade too? I have not yet found a post or video with someone with this setup. It's always AI prime or Kessil. Is that because the look of the lights mixing together creates an unappealing look in the tank or brand ecosystem compatibility or perhaps just better options per dollar?

Appreciate any feedback and suggestions.
I’m currently planning a 40 breeder also. Either soft dominated or mixed that euphylia/monti heavy. Curious if anyone can add to this thread. I’m thinking 2 AI primes to start then also adding 1 blade.
 
. . . I really dislike my AI Prime 16HD

If it were me, I would run the current primes with the Kessil in the middle until you can get yourself a second Kessil.
 
I had two kessil a360we's over my 40b. More than enough coverage
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new