Lighting change question

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my light ramps up.and down everyday on its own. At like noon to three its mostly white and my zoas hate it. So today i changed it a bit to like 100% blue and id say about 50% white. They all seem to like this much better. One of my zoas that havent opened up since i got it out of nowere is wide open and looks happy as can be.
I work 10 hour days, can i put my light on a timer for this spectrum and leave it like that? Would it be okay to have the 100% and 50% ratio? I'm gone for most of the day when i work so i can't change anything once i leave. Its not completley blue but not white either, its like an in between. I don't wanna go to blue tho because my fish will think its time to sleep lol

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can absolutely out everything on a timer. Both fish and corals will acclimate to the new schedule.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think having more blue lighting will be okay?
It'll be just fine. Some of the corals (as you have already found) will definitely thank you for it.
There a couple of coral sellers, and many an amature reefer, that run blue exclusively. As long as the changes aren't drastic and immediate, things will work out in your favor

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be just fine. Some of the corals (as you have already found) will definitely thank you for it.
There a couple of coral sellers, and many an amature reefer, that run blue exclusively. As long as the changes aren't drastic and immediate, things will work out in your favor

Ah alright. The new lighting spectrum is pretty similar to what it was at like 7/8am and 8/9pm when my light started ramping down. The corals seemed to love it. But when it was blasting white light the whole tank in general looked blah :p

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was also wondering, i have an extra finnex stingray light. Would that work over my sump to grow cheato or macroalgea(or whatever that stuff is called)? Like would it be bright enough?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also wondering, i have an extra finnex stingray light. Would that work over my sump to grow cheato or macroalgea(or whatever that stuff is called)? Like would it be bright enough?

Not familiar with that particular light, but bright isn't necessarily the biggest concern in growing macro algae, spectrum is. Most of the lights out there for growing chaeto and the like are in the magenta spectrum. Much more red than typical aquarium lighting. Not that it wouldnt work, but possibly not as well as a specifically designed grow light

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back