LIGHTING-choice's 29g cube ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I got side tracked from my in wall 75g reef, because my wife is so wonderful and love her deeply, that when she starting looking at clams again (her favorite)
she got very,....excited. We had several tanks in the 90's.

I'm putting together a Oceanic 29g cube. She want's her loved clams, LPS's, softies & leathers, and possibly,....a SPS or two. The tank will be next to her chair in the living room, so it has to be quiet. As we all know, the factory fans are very noisy, so that's one of the reasons I'd rather leave the hood off. Second, even though there's a mired of LED systems out there, their still pretty pricey for this tank, so I've been looking at pendants and the hanging rectangular type.

I really love,....the Kessil's but, their expensive and unless you have apex for the 360 you don't have the ramp up and down lighting. The 350 only has manual knobs, but it would be a hassle and if you're gone it's on 24/7. A fellow reefer here has a used 150 sky blue (10,000k) for a great price, but I believe,...I like the bluer ocean blue (15,000k) but still no ramp up and down. I guess I could add a LED strip so the fish & corals don't get shocked from bright to dark. Any suggestions ?

The light must have a dawn to dusk affect and able to look down from the top to get a better view of her clams, so the light can't be in the way.

Cost is a factor, so below are some of the company's I'm looking into.

I just bought the LUMENTEK 240 from Rick of Reef Radiance, and although I haven't mounted it above my planned 75g reef, it works great and wonderful customer response .

A great light I just found from Rick is the DM-36e . (may buy 2 if needed)

DM-36e - Reef Radiance

He also has a great selection of his DM series.

Here's the Nano-

Nano 60- $129

NANO 60 - Reef Radiance

Nano Cree Pro- $209

Nano CREE Pro - Reef Radiance

Current USA Orbit Marine- $136 (don't know if it's strong enough) ?

Amazon.com: Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 18 to 24-Inch: Pet Supplies

BOOST LED PAR30- $75 (maybe buy 2) (you can pick your spectrum)

PAR30 Reef Lamp

The Maxspect R4Z04 Razor Nano 16k 60 watt. But at $290 may be too expensive.

Maxspect R4Z04 Razor Nano 16k 60 watt LED light [MZRAZNANO16K] - $289.95 : Aquarium Supplies: Maxspect, Bubble Magus, Neptune Systems, NextReef

Aqua Illumination Nano Super Blue. $275

They say up to 18" wide and the Oceanic 29g is 18".

Nano Super Blue LED Module - Black Body - AI Nano LED - LED Lighting - Lighting

(General Sizing Guideline:
- Recommended Tank Length: at 12" or more above the top of the tank a single module is capable of covering a tank length of approximately 18".
- Recommended Tank Depth: up to 30" with proper placement of corals.
- Recommended Tank Width: up to 18" with proper placement of corals)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orphek PR72 Reef LED Pendant Not for sure what it costs, but I think it's around $329 ? (they have great lighting systems)

Orphek PR 72 LED Aquarium Lighting

ECOXOTIC Panorama Marine - $177

Panorama Marine LED System - Ecoxotic

I'm sure there's many others, these are just some I've been researching.
Since being out of the hobby from the 90's, these new LED systems and company's is very confusing. I can't afford to just "pick one" and be wrong !

Please give me your thoughts and recommendation's.
Kevin

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a DM-155e over my 28g Nano, and a Lumentek Pro 120 over a 60 cube. Should have reversed that, but for your nano, I'd highly recommend the Lumentek 120. Plenty bright for whatever you want to grow, and the ramping controller built in.

Mac

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 106 75.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 16 11.4%
Back