Lighting dilemma...

Subarody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I have just recently started a 29 gallon tank and I have some lighting questions. Ultimately I would like to have a mixed reef - corals like frogspawn, zooa's, ricordia, maybe a brain of plate coral on the sand bed, some easy monti's or other "beginner" SPS. I have an old 24" coralife aqualight pro fixture that has a 150W 14K MH complimented by w 65W power compact actinics and 2 really cool looking LED moonlights. Unfortunately the power compact bulbs have all but disappeared and I can no longer buy one to replace the burnt out bulb.

I'm thinking of two options:
1. replace the fixture with a Current USA Marine Orbit 2.0 LED - this one:
and in the future add two t5's with the LET retrofit kit: https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/LET-24-2x24W-Miro-4-T5-High-Output-Retrofit-Kit.html

2. Keep the MH fixture so I still get the LED moonlights and really great MH light in general. Add the same t5 retrofit kit to be added into the canopy I'm building. The t5's would essentially replace the power compacts. I would just hang the MH fixture so it sits just above the canopy leaving it about 7-8" off the water surface. I was thinking of ATI bulbs - 2 actinic or 2 blue+. I will be building in a 4" fan to one end of the canopy to help control heat buildup and it would likely be partially open on top - although I really want to minimize evaporation so I'd like to enclose the canopy as much as possible. I'd like to think that the canopy I plan on building will better control evaporation compared to a completely open top tank...maybe I'm wrong:)

Any thought's or suggestions?

IMG_2507.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am not a fan of the current lights (par drops off rather low after 12 inches).

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those lights might do softies, but at 27 watts, not much else.
Replace the PC with T5, keep MH....nice Hybrid..
That tank size needs a min of 80-165 watts.

OP
OP
S

Subarody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the t5’s would have one over the front of the tank and one over the back of the tank would I see two distinct colours if I had different bulbs or would they blend together?

Back