Lighting for 100g Cube (32x32x24)

Samppson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the process of building out my 100g Cube tank. I am onto the lighting portion of this.

I am struggling with a solution for lighting. I am ideally looking to buy secondhand to save money, as some of the options are way to expensive. I have had good luck with my ViparSpectra 165W on my 17g tank, and was thinking possibly doing two of those over it.

Ideally, I think a 24 inch Hybrid fixture could work well, maybe like a T5/LED one, or T5/MH. I am also open to going Metal Halides, although I have never used them. Are the Metal Halides that people label "Grow Lights 400w" the same thing thats used in aquariums? If so, would one 400W be enough for the cube? I imagine its mostly white light for Halides? Do you need to supplement any blues?

Any specific fixture ideas would be super appreciated! Thank you!Attach files

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the process of building out my 100g Cube tank. I am onto the lighting portion of this.

I am struggling with a solution for lighting. I am ideally looking to buy secondhand to save money, as some of the options are way to expensive. I have had good luck with my ViparSpectra 165W on my 17g tank, and was thinking possibly doing two of those over it.

Ideally, I think a 24 inch Hybrid fixture could work well, maybe like a T5/LED one, or T5/MH. I am also open to going Metal Halides, although I have never used them. Are the Metal Halides that people label "Grow Lights 400w" the same thing thats used in aquariums? If so, would one 400W be enough for the cube? I imagine its mostly white light for Halides? Do you need to supplement any blues?

Any specific fixture ideas would be super appreciated! Thank you!Attach files
Metal.halides dont dim. They are off instantly. The color you want is based on kelvin. If you want bluish youll want a 20000k bulb. More white 14000k. Sunlight at noon is 6500k. 1 400 watt is good enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Samppson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal.halides dont dim. They are off instantly. The color you want is based on kelvin. If you want bluish youll want 20000k. More white 14000k. Sunlight at noon is 6500k. 1 400 watt is good enough.

Oh, so basically I could just select a more blueish color for the bulb? When people sell grow lights that are Metal Halides, assuming I replace the bulb in them, are they all the same thing or do I need one that is made by a reefing company?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, so basically I could just select a more blueish color for the bulb? When people sell grow lights that are Metal Halides, assuming I replace the bulb in them, are they all the same thing or do I need one that is made by a reefing company?
Yes a 20k bulb will look blueish. You can change the bulb but need to know what kind. Double ended, single ended, hqi. Also the kind of ballast will also slightly change the color.but slightly. It will still be blue but not as blue or more blue

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely you can go with metal halides for a tank like that. Look at Hamilton lighting and their 20" reflectors, one would give great coverage for that 32" footprint. They have bulbs and ballasts to go with it. Go with a 400w setup for that large of reflector and tank and a 14k bulb, the choice is yours and there are options. Can add a couple blue LED strips for coral pop afterward just like you would add to a T5 fixture.

OP
OP
S

Samppson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may actually be buying a used Ecotech Radion XR30 Pro Gen 4 from someone. Looking at the recommendations, it says the spread is 24x24, with a maximum spread of 32x32. Are these general requirements for SPS usually? I'm thinking I may be able to get away to start with this light for just LPS/Softies, and eventually supplement it with maybe some T5s down the road, I know Aquatic Life makes a 4 bulb fixture that is designed to have a LED fixture mounted in the middle of it.

Anyone have experience with the Radion XR30 Pro Gen 4? How did you like it?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back