Lighting for a 525 reefer

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

im looking at buying some lights with my new reefer 525. im looking for some first hand experience or knowlege.

im leaning towards the reefer led. the price range is nice and 1200$ for 3 lights seem reasonable. thats kinda my budget.

has anyone for any other suggestions or thoughts? any first hand encounters with the reefled from redsea?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Reef Breeders Photon V2+?

A single fixture of 50" should work at $715. Or 2 fixtures of 24" at $800.

Cree 5w and 3W leds. Wide spaced array of leds for far less shadowing than puck type fixtures. 6 channels of color control. Sunrise and sunset control. Runs cool enough that fans rarely have to run. All aluminum with anodizes surface. Comes with legs and hanging kit.

I have 3 and the only other fixture I'd consider is the Reefi which is new to the market and has some 'different' design features. And you'd need 3 for sure and probably need 3. And they are $650 each.

Kris2424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the evergrow it5012 (photon v2 in the US) on my 525 for over 2 years now with a mixed reef.

Superb lights for the money, i have no plans to change them out.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried the

Reef Breeders Photon V2+ ? any insight or results? its obviously significantly less than anyother light -

so i had a quick google. they have some very solid reviews. ive never personally heard of them and was leaning towards the ai hydras........well untill now xD

i guess my question is would i be better off with one 60 inch unit or 2 small ones.

Last edited:

Kris2424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0498.JPG

This photo is quite old, things have grown out quite a bit since.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried the

Reef Breeders Photon V2+ ? any insight or results? its obviously significantly less than anyother light

Thst's what we are both saying. The EverGrow and the Photon are the same fixture. EverGrow makes them and sells them world wide except in the US where Reef Breeders sells them as Photons. The differences between them is very, very small.

This is my 40g tank after 2 years from set up under a Photon V2.

FTS June 2019 .jpg

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i had a quick google. they have some very solid reviews. ive never personally heard of them and was leaning towards the ai hydras........well untill now xD

i guess my question is would i be better off with one 60 inch unit or 2 small ones. since they make some nice tank mounts

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think im leaning towards the 60 inch unit. since thats in stock and has a nice tank mount that can click on the back. rather than stand over the tank.

i certainly was leading to the hydras before this conversations. i was tempted by 2 smaller units but i see people ordering the bigger ones and having good success

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i guess my question is would i be better off with one 60 inch unit or 2 small ones. since they make some nice tank mounts

I think their big one is 50" not 60". A60" wouldn't fit a 59" tank without an bit of extra leg bending! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

The Reefi is a beautiful fixture! I'd still like to have one ove my Rock Flower Anemone breeding tank!

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or perhaps go with 2 smaller units? So confusing xD

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

im looking at buying some lights with my new reefer 525. im looking for some first hand experience or knowlege.

im leaning towards the reefer led. the price range is nice and 1200$ for 3 lights seem reasonable. thats kinda my budget.

has anyone for any other suggestions or thoughts? any first hand encounters with the reefled from redsea?

Really.

For that tank, you could altogether buy the DELUXE version of the XL 525 it includes everything plus the 3 lights and arm in a single package and its cheaper than buying them separately.
or you could go with 3 AI hydras 32HDs + arm
or use 4-5 AI Primes 16HD

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the legs expand to fit a 60" tank. But it's still a 50" fixture. LOL!

It's a nice looking fixture. I'd do the big one. But that's just me.

cube close up.jpg

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ai hydra seems to beat out the reefer LED but that is probably just long term data. The reef breeders seem comparable to the hydras

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 72 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 9.0%
Back