Lighting for a Nuvo Pro SR 60

CautiouslyOptimistic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at scaling up my tank and getting a IM SR 60 Nuvo Pro. What I can't seem to settle on is the lighting. 2 AI Prime 16HDs? 1 32HD? XR30? 2 XR15s?

The dimensions of the tank (the actual display part) are roughly 35"L x 18"W x 16"H.

I was favoring AI due to the fact I currently have a couple of Nero powerheads and keeping as much gear as possible on the same app was very appealing. Gut tells me that the 35 inch length is too much for even spread of a 32HD and it will cook the middle of a 16" deep tank. Not sure 2 16HDs is enough but that is kind of why I'm making this post. Crowd sourcing some suggestions should make it even harder to determine what I want and who doesn't like a challenge right?

I have mostly LPS and softies with a handful of SPS currently (everything will be moving over to the new tank). Looking to increase the SPS/Acro count in the future.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at scaling up my tank and getting a IM SR 60 Nuvo Pro. What I can't seem to settle on is the lighting. 2 AI Prime 16HDs? 1 32HD? XR30? 2 XR15s?

The dimensions of the tank (the actual display part) are roughly 35"L x 18"W x 16"H.

I was favoring AI due to the fact I currently have a couple of Nero powerheads and keeping as much gear as possible on the same app was very appealing. Gut tells me that the 35 inch length is too much for even spread of a 32HD and it will cook the middle of a 16" deep tank. Not sure 2 16HDs is enough but that is kind of why I'm making this post. Crowd sourcing some suggestions should make it even harder to determine what I want and who doesn't like a challenge right?

I have mostly LPS and softies with a handful of SPS currently (everything will be moving over to the new tank). Looking to increase the SPS/Acro count in the future.
If you are looking to do more sps and want the best spread, you could do two XR15s and that would be very good coverage for a mixed reef over that tank. Another option would be maybe two or three primes plus one of those hybrid fixtures, either T5 or the Reefbrite ones.

If you haven’t watched some of the Bulk Reef Supply YouTube videos on lighting, I would recommend it. It will give you a good idea of the limits of each of those lights you mentioned and par numbers.

OP
OP
CautiouslyOptimistic

CautiouslyOptimistic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to do more sps and want the best spread, you could do two XR15s and that would be very good coverage for a mixed reef over that tank. Another option would be maybe two or three primes plus one of those hybrid fixtures, either T5 or the Reefbrite ones.

If you haven’t watched some of the Bulk Reef Supply YouTube videos on lighting, I would recommend it. It will give you a good idea of the limits of each of those lights you mentioned and par numbers.
I've watched more reef videos than I care to admit. BRS has some great info.

Was trying to avoid hanging the light from the ceiling and I don't believe any of the hybrid solutions have tank mounts except for the RB for the 360s.

I suppose I couldn't go wrong with 2 AI 32s mounted perpendicular to the tank. Can always dial the intensity back so I don't scorch anything in the middle of the fixture.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched more reef videos than I care to admit. BRS has some great info.

Was trying to avoid hanging the light from the ceiling and I don't believe any of the hybrid solutions have tank mounts except for the RB for the 360s.

I suppose I couldn't go wrong with 2 AI 32s mounted perpendicular to the tank. Can always dial the intensity back so I don't scorch anything in the middle of the fixture.
I think that could work. If you hate disco shimmer, check out the 3DReefing diffusors. I have them on my Hydra 26HDs and I love the look. It has a much more natural shimmer now and color blending is way better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back