Lighting for Fusion 20

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all have been lurking for awhile now and finally created an account to ask a question. My nuvo 16 cracked awhile ago and I gave my livestock to a family member and quit for awhile.

Fast forward to now, I bought a fusion 20 2 months ago and I still have the lighting from my old nuvo 16. (1 Kessil A150 Ocean or tuna Blue I don't remember, Older light)(2 1st gen IM skyee lights)

My question is these wont be enough to grow even simple sps like monti caps and birdsnest correct? All i had was softies and a RBTA before and they did great, but i want to start sps once my tank matures.

I've done a lot of reading on this and I think i've come to the conclusion, but would like opinions before I spend money on a new light/lights.

20171130_152251.jpg

Also suggestions for new lighting?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor (1).gif

The Kessil can definitely grow moderate level sps corals (including the ones you listed). The only issue is that you may need two over that tank to avoid shadowing as the A150's and A160's have a recommended spread of 12" x 12" for sps corals.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :D

Great tank choice by the way, I would say your current lighting will be able to grow lower-light sps corals like the ones you mentioned, but if you want to go fully SPS with acros and montipora digis, setosa, etc. you should plan on upgrading before adding those corals. I have struggled with lighting for this tank as well and I'm currently settled on the Maxspect Ethereal which looks amazing on the tank IMHO, but I've had good success with the SB Reef Lights 16" Fixture, it just doesn't look as nice and has limited features depending on the model you get. I am currently having good growth on all my SPS coral with the Ethereal and I was having good results with the SB light, it all just sort of depends on your budget and what your level of aesthetic pickiness is haha :)

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor (1).gif

The Kessil can definitely grow moderate level sps corals (including the ones you listed). The only issue is that you may need two over that tank to avoid shadowing as the A150's and A160's have a recommended spread of 12" x 12" for sps corals.

Welcome to R2R!:) I agree on needing 2 lights.

Welcome to R2R! :D

Great tank choice by the way, I would say your current lighting will be able to grow lower-light sps corals like the ones you mentioned, but if you want to go fully SPS with acros and montipora digis, setosa, etc. you should plan on upgrading before adding those corals. I have struggled with lighting for this tank as well and I'm currently settled on the Maxspect Ethereal which looks amazing on the tank IMHO, but I've had good success with the SB Reef Lights 16" Fixture, it just doesn't look as nice and has limited features depending on the model you get. I am currently having good growth on all my SPS coral with the Ethereal and I was having good results with the SB light, it all just sort of depends on your budget and what your level of aesthetic pickiness is haha :)

So in sumary, I should be able to add another a160 and be set for growing easier sps? That would be relativly cheap and they match so thats nice.

Mind posting a fts with the light it in nathaniel? When you can get to it! The Ethereal looks pretty nice, im curious how it looks mounted to the tank. (EDIT: Found a FTS in your tanks thread. Looks pretty sleak actually!)

Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in sumary, I should be able to add another a160 and be set for growing easier sps? That would be relativly cheap and they match so thats nice.

Mind posting a fts with the light it in nathaniel? When you can get to it! The Ethereal looks pretty nice, im curious how it looks mounted to the tank.

Thanks!
Yup! two A160's on that tank would be awesome!

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mind posting a fts with the light it in nathaniel? When you can get to it! The Ethereal looks pretty nice, im curious how it looks mounted to the tank. (EDIT: Found a FTS in your tanks thread. Looks pretty sleak actually!)

Thanks!

Here you go :)
PSX_20171120_121831.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, here is what it looked like with the SB light:

20170913_173404a.jpg

Good light if you're into Black Box lights, but aesthetically there's not much going on with it. I do like that the pro model I had only had one cord instead of two, but the mounting legs don't play nice with saltwater, despite being powder coated, and they're in the way if you need to work from the side of the tank.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, here is what it looked like with the SB light:

20170913_173404a.jpg

Good light if you're into Black Box lights, but aesthetically there's not much going on with it. I do like that the pro model I had only had one cord instead of two, but the mounting legs don't play nice with saltwater, despite being powder coated, and they're in the way if you need to work from the side of the tank.

Yeah the Ethreal looks really nice! Good color to, i'm sure the photo doesn't do it justice either.

Side Note, how do you like that Im ghost skimmer? I'm debating between getting one or doing water changes more often. The reviews complain about micro bubbles and what not. Whats your take?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the Ethreal looks really nice! Good color to, i'm sure the photo doesn't do it justice either.

Side Note, how do you like that Im ghost skimmer? I'm debating between getting one or doing water changes more often. The reviews complain about micro bubbles and what not. Whats your take?
Hate the IM Ghost skimmer haha that may seem a bit harsh but it was very expensive compared to other options, it's noisey, it doesn't work all that well, and it's a pain to clean the inside bubble chamber and make adjustments. The little air intake tube attached to the pump intake also fills with salt creep in a day or so and quits working as effectively. Micro bubbles are definitely an issue as well.

I'm gonna be investing in something different soon, possibly a hang on back style skimmer such as the offerings from Eshopps, Aquamaxx, or Reef Octopus (Or is it OCTO or something now?? :confused:).

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate the IM Ghost skimmer haha that may seem a bit harsh but it was very expensive compared to other options, it's noisey, it doesn't work all that well, and it's a pain to clean the inside bubble chamber and make adjustments. The little air intake tube attached to the pump intake also fills with salt creep in a day or so and quits working as effectively. Micro bubbles are definitely an issue as well.

I'm gonna be investing in something different soon, possibly a hang on back style skimmer such as the offerings from Eshopps, Aquamaxx, or Reef Octopus (Or is it OCTO or something now?? :confused:).

Yeah that's the general consensus. Thanks for the response it definitely helps me stay away from buying it. Ill stick with water changes more often for now. There really isn't a great option out there right now for the nanos. I had an old aquamaxx HOB on my nuvo 16 and while it pulled plenty of protein and had no microbubbles, it was to noisy to sleep with it as this is in my bedroom.

Last question, How about the IM reactor? How are you liking that?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's the general consensus. Thanks for the response it definitely helps me stay away from buying it. Ill stick with water changes more often for now. There really isn't a great option out there right now for the nanos. I had an old aquamaxx HOB on my nuvo 16 and while it pulled plenty of protein and had no microbubbles, it was to noisy to sleep with it as this is in my bedroom.

Last question, How about the IM reactor? How are you liking that?
IM Reactor is pretty loud as well, the way it's designed has the water coming up and over a central tube and out of an outer tube, when It comes down the outer tube it makes lots of splashing noises, so definitely not good for your bedroom.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back