Lighting for Mixed Reef

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m coming up on getting lighting for my tank with the desire to have a mixed reef. The tank is a 60 gallon long (Marineland) with dimensions of 48x25x13, that is 25 inches deep and 13 inches front to back. I have two islands as an aquascape. I have been planning for a long time now to do 2 Kessil A360X’s, but the new AI Blades have been catching my eye too. I love the Kessil lights and since I’m having a mixed reef, I figured that would be plenty, but I have seen many people recommend a third light for that length. I have a cross brace, so a light in the middle won’t work.

Opinions? I like the idea of 3 AI Blades (48 inch models; two grow and one glow) or 4 21 inch grow and 2 21 inch glow. I will have to wait for the mounting options to finish coming out though.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m coming up on getting lighting for my tank with the desire to have a mixed reef. The tank is a 60 gallon long (Marineland) with dimensions of 48x25x13, that is 25 inches deep and 13 inches front to back. I have two islands as an aquascape. I have been planning for a long time now to do 2 Kessil A360X’s, but the new AI Blades have been catching my eye too. I love the Kessil lights and since I’m having a mixed reef, I figured that would be plenty, but I have seen many people recommend a third light for that length. I have a cross brace, so a light in the middle won’t work.

Opinions? I like the idea of 3 AI Blades (48 inch models; two grow and one glow) or 4 21 inch grow and 2 21 inch glow. I will have to wait for the mounting options to finish coming out though.
Your tank is only 13" front to back? I think 3 Blades will be too much. What's the recommended coverage area?

Honestly, if you're looking at AI, why not just get 2 Hydras?

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is only 13" front to back? I think 3 Blades will be too much. What's the recommended coverage area?

Honestly, if you're looking at AI, why not just get 2 Hydras?
They tested on 24” tanks like everyone else, so I agree, I think it’d be too much, but I also would want some glow aspect to it, which the blue setting of the Kessil’s should work for.

What about the Kessils? Would two be okay?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tested on 24” tanks like everyone else, so I agree, I think it’d be too much, but I also would want some glow aspect to it, which the blue setting of the Kessil’s should work for.

What about the Kessils? Would two be okay?
I don't know. I've never used them.

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it would benefit me to add the reflectors to the Kessil A360X’s. It says it has a max spread of 20”x20” (down from a 24” square), so I’d probably be losing some light on the edges…. Again, any thoughts?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it would benefit me to add the reflectors to the Kessil A360X’s. It says it has a max spread of 20”x20” (down from a 24” square), so I’d probably be losing some light on the edges…. Again, any thoughts?
From looking at the specs on the A360X, I personally would think you'd need 3-4 for a 48" tank... but that's also dependent on what coral you plan to keep. I have a 48" long with a large glass brace in the center and currently use 2 Hydra 26HDs. Previously used a 4 bulb T5 fixture. Unless you plan to have no coral (or very low light coral) in the center of your tank, I wouldn't rely on two A360's.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From looking at the specs on the A360X, I personally would think you'd need 3-4 for a 48" tank... but that's also dependent on what coral you plan to keep. I have a 48" long with a large glass brace in the center and currently use 2 Hydra 26HDs. Previously used a 4 bulb T5 fixture. Unless you plan to have no coral (or very low light coral) in the center of your tank, I wouldn't rely on two A360's.

Have you thought about t5? Plug and play a 48 inch 4 bulb would be perfect. I ran your setup that way and was very happy. Now I'm running a 90 gallon with 6 bulb t5s

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about t5? Plug and play a 48 inch 4 bulb would be perfect. I ran your setup that way and was very happy. Now I'm running a 90 gallon with 6 bulb t5s
And you can have this for 260.00 with bulbs

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my scape is like:

8DF7335E-6799-401A-9691-3EEF1C652189.jpeg

This is why I wonder if two lights is fine to start. I figured I may have to add fill light down the line.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back