Lighting help!!

elagui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

so i currently have a 50 gallon cube 24x24x20 sps dominant it currently has a 1 ecotech radion xr30w g2 and i hate the shadowing effects i was thinking about changing my light for maybe 2 xr15 (not sure if that would be overkill) or maybe 2 kessil 360 or any other options? your input would be greatly appreciated i do plan on upgrading to a 70 gallon within the next couple of months so i definetly want to get 2 lights even if i only use one until then.

thanks

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

so i currently have a 50 gallon cube 24x24x20 sps dominant it currently has a 1 ecotech radion xr30w g2 and i hate the shadowing effects i was thinking about changing my light for maybe 2 xr15 (not sure if that would be overkill) or maybe 2 kessil 360 or any other options? your input would be greatly appreciated i do plan on upgrading to a 70 gallon within the next couple of months so i definetly want to get 2 lights even if i only use one until then.

thanks
Go with the kessils. The gooseneck will allow you to angle the fixture to reduce dead spots in further. Going with (2) XR15s won't necessarily fix the issue at hand.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons t5 and halide work so well Isn't spectrum or intensity it's the large surface area of the source. Or spread. You can By adjusting the lamp or lamps cover a larger area you'll get better spread. Usually by moving the lamp away from its target. It works if you have enough intensity in the lamp.
Adding a second lamp will do something similar. Give more spread over the area by increasing he size of the source.
Similar to the effect of a soft box in photography or bouncing a desk lamp into a wall rather than directly at the desk.
In my biz we call that wrap.
Check out max spect they use a similar Stratagy in thier scheme. Reefbuildersled as well I believe . More smaller sources over are larger area.
I love the kessel for the spectrum and intensity and want two for my little cube but I'm considering a lightly frosted glass lid to get spread and wrap I like.
But I am a nut job.

OP
OP
elagui

elagui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually just purchased the kessil ap700 i want give them a shot if i dont like it i will sale it and get an ati fixture

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought an ATI 6x54w for my 55g. I'm pretty sure a lot more people are going back to t5

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just today I hung my first Radion. After 2yrs of running a Black Box I'm blown away. It's a Gen 1 at that! On my 40B who'd of thought? But at 11" from the surface I've got full coverage end to end.
IMO stick with the Radion. 2 xr15 would not be overkill, that's what programming is for. [emoji2]

Oh and I ran T5's for 5yrs.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 77.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back