Lighting help.

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m new here. I want to all of you that have been helping me get back into the hobby. I’m in the middle of getting all my equipment for my build. I’m building a 60L X 24 H X 30 D tank. I plan on keeping a mix of corals from softies and lps and working my way up to sps corals. I want to get your opinions on lighting on what to get or how many pendants will cover my tank. I will have a canopy on the tank

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget pretty much dictates. There are some good brs videos to talk about the different merits and negatives associated with them. Look at week 18 through 22. Who makes the tank BTW? That's about what I want to go with when I upgrade my 60x18x24 LxDxH tank. I have a 6x80w t5 and that's almost too much light. An 8x80w would be about right for you, maybe with some supplemental leds. My light of choice would be an ati power module which has both led and t5.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/video-category/52-weeks-of-reefing

OP
OP
Nmaran72

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget pretty much dictates. There are some good brs videos to talk about the different merits and negatives associated with them. Look at week 18 through 22. Who makes the tank BTW? That's about what I want to go with when I upgrade my 60x18x24 LxDxH tank. I have a 6x80w t5 and that's almost too much light. An 8x80w would be about right for you, maybe with some supplemental leds. My light of choice would be an ati power module which has both led and t5.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/video-category/52-weeks-of-reefing

I’m building the tank. I was looking at the videos from brs. My concern was being that I’m going 30 wide vs the typical 18/24 wide tanks what would be a good fixture/s or quantity. I’m not on any specific budget but I don’t want to spend unnecessary money for the wrong fixture

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, good point, the 8 bulb ati sunpower is only like 18 inches wide. That leaves 6 inches on the front and back. I think you'd be fine with that. Maybe add some reef Brite strips and you'd have plenty of light.

That's bold to make your own tank! The marineland dd has those dimensions, but I've heard horror stories about those tanks leaking with the depth causing issues. But that's exactly the dimensions I'd want.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back