Lighting Help

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finishing our kitchen remodel, I am finally ready for my dream tank. It was originally going to be 6 feet, but now it looks like it will be 8'x30"x24". (24 high) Here is my dilemma.
I bought a 61" light for the 6ft tank. The Reefbreeders 50 V2+ and 61" T5 Hybrid. Here is my idea. I will need to buy a 36" t5 hybrid fixture, and find a way to attach it to the 61" I currently have. That will make a ~8 foot fixture. I will then arrange the lights as follows:

DAF61CB3-9AE5-45F6-8550-37329D6C4905.jpeg

Kessil A360 we Tuna blue x2
Hydra 26 x2
I would also switch the order of the kessils and hydras, so the kessils are closer to the middle.
Let me know what you guys think of this. How well will the different lights blend together?
Can I get them to blend? I will use the native controllers for the hydras and reef breeders, and the apex for the kessils.
My other option is to sell the kessils and hydras and buy a reef breeders 32" V2+ which will leave ~8" on each side of the two fixtures. I could also do 4x noopsyche k7s, two on each side of the reef breeders, or just all k7s.

Last edited:

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Possible? Probably. Easy? Doubt it.

I would personally be adding another Reefbreeders unit and calling it a day. Even at conservative resale value for the Hydras and Kessils, you’d probably come out ahead financially.

My main concern is, if you were able to achieve a well blended visual appearance, would you necessarily be getting optimal performance from each light in terms of PAR and spectrum?

Maybe, maybe not. But personally I’d hate to go through the hassle of programming three different lights to find out I wasn’t.

Best of luck either way!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go full reefbreeders and hybrid in your case. Unless you want empty space on the ends, that could be kind of cool. Then have the kessils angled toward the middle rock structure to add good shimmer, that could be quite a show tank.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go full reefbreeders and hybrid in your case. Unless you want empty space on the ends, that could be kind of cool. Then have the kessils angled toward the middle rock structure to add good shimmer, that could be quite a show tank.
So just do the 48” reefbreeders with the kessils?
I’m leaning towards the all reefbreeders.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe reefbreeders sells a connector to join two of their lights. I would jsut buy one of the smaller reefbreeders and the hybrid system and chill. But another cool idea would be halides angled inwards. Get some mad growth

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pick a single option and stick to it just for simplicity sake; the added complexity just isnt worth the hassle and if anything happens to the tank inhabitants, you'll question your lighting decision (though the likelihood of it being your lighting was slim to none).

Two four foot solutions (i.e. hybrid, ReefBreeders, whatever) will provide even light across the tank and open up other options such as dimmable T5s (not made in 60" length for the US). Keep it simple, you'll thank yourself down the road.

This is your dream tank, dont piecemeal it together.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pick a single option and stick to it just for simplicity sake; the added complexity just isnt worth the hassle and if anything happens to the tank inhabitants, you'll question your lighting decision (though the likelihood of it being your lighting was slim to none).

Two four foot solutions (i.e. hybrid, ReefBreeders, whatever) will provide even light across the tank and open up other options such as dimmable T5s (not made in 60" length for the US). Keep it simple, you'll thank yourself down the road.
The biggest issue is I have one 60” t5 Already. But yes, simplicity is best.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe reefbreeders sells a connector to join two of their lights. I would jsut buy one of the smaller reefbreeders and the hybrid system and chill. But another cool idea would be halides angled inwards. Get some mad growth
Cost of halides to light a tank that size?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back